Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trello Data Source to Excel

37 August 5, 2020

Hey everyone,

Is there any process on how to create a data source from Trello to Excel?

I want to have an excel spreadsheet contain particular data, so that way when my boss updates particular information it automatically updates a custom field on my Trello boards.

I'm aware the API exists I'm just unsure on how to get the two to talk with one another.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 answers

0 votes
Antonio Panea
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2020

Hi @37 ,

I agree with @milynnus . Best you can do is using Zapier for trigger every time an excel spreadsheet cell is updated.

What you need to have in mind is that every new update in Excel will update a Custom Field in a card... So in which one of your Trello board? You will need some search steps and having the name of the card in a column of that spreadsheet otherwise  you could not do it. That means a more expensive Zapier plan with multisteps.

Also I would be aware of who is writing there... if a column name is changed, it crashes. If a new row is added in between all the data, errors will appear. If a new row is added it will trigger as well, if you do not want to, then Zap with filter/logic actions. Also another Zapier plan.

I would recommend to show Trello to your boss and explain him how to use it. That will make your life easier. And if the use of that board is for a CRM then take a look on Crmble Power-Up:

https://blog.trello.com/crm-in-trello-crmble-power-up

Hope it helps!

Cheers

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 5, 2020

@37 I will try to address your question on API. Because you want to capture a change in excel, you would need some trigger mechanisms there that can feed Trello. For Trello API, there are power up like Zapier you go check it. It may help handle it so you do not need to do programming. I use Wayscript (beta) as it has access to Google Sheet. For excel you will have to import the file and work with it.  Hope this helps. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events