Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trello Change from Free to Standard

Gabriel Cambronero March 6, 2024

Hi Guys, 

I work for a small company (20 users) and due to the recent trello new policy, we need to switch to standar users to keep accessing the boards we use.

As company we want to pay all the accounts with the same payment method, but we won't want to give the people the card's info, so the idea is to create an account that pay for the rest. 

My questios are:
1) Can I do that with Standard?

2) What would happen with the boards we use? Some were created with old email instead the company one.

3) Can we cancel the plan at our convience or there is a contract establish once we suscribed?  

Thank you!

1 answer

0 votes
Sal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 8, 2024

Hi @Gabriel Cambronero! I'm not sure if I follow your use case correctly, but I'll do my best to clarify your questions. 

Trello subscriptions are associated with your Workspace rather than with your Trello account. This means that if you upgrade your Workspace to Standard, you can keep all members' access as it is. You'll only need to pay attention to whether you have billable members in your Workspace.

There are two ways a member can be considered billable in a Workspace:

• They're a Workspace member – Anyone who is a member of the Workspace, including admins
  • They're multi-board guests – Anyone who's not a member of the Workspace but has access to 2 or more boards in a single Workspace

For example, let's say you upgrade your Workspace to Standard with all the 20 members (a mix between Workspace members and Guests). But if you have 2 multi-board Guests in your Workspace. This will result in you having to pay for three Standard licenses. Your license and the other two multi-board Guest licenses.

We have more details on how billing works in Trello here: https://support.atlassian.com/trello/docs/how-billing-works-with-trello-premium-and-standard/

Now, I believe you're interested in restricting your board members' access to the card information on your board. Is that what you meant by "we won't want to give the people the card's info"? Or have I misunderstood that? 

Your boards won't be modified or changed once you upgrade your Workspace. You'll still be able to access them as a Workspace admin since Workspace admins have full control over the boards on paid Workspaces.

Last, yes, you can cancel your subscription at any time you see fit. I hope this helps! 

Gabriel Cambronero March 11, 2024

Hi Sal

Actually, I was very confused about how Trello subscriptions worked. Thank you for clarifying that for me. I thought it was per user, so for a moment, I thought that we would have to share the credit card information with other staff members in order to pay for their subscriptions.

However, that explanation brings me some extra questions:

a) The most important Trello boards we use (5 in total) were created by different people and are in different workplaces. If we would like to pay just for one workplace and put all the boards in the same place, how can I transfer those Trello boards to that particular workplace? 

b) The example you gave: "let's say you upgrade your Workspace to Standard with all the 20 members (a mix between Workspace members and Guests). But if you have 2 multi-board Guests in your Workspace. This will result in you having to pay for three Standard licenses. Your license and the other two multi-board Guest licenses." Wouldn't I have to pay for 22 licenses instead of 3? 20 members that have access to this general workplace plus the other 2 guests you added?

c) I'll try to explain myself better. There are going to be some Trello boards that need to be restricted just to some people. For instance, let's say I've created a company workplace where I have 6 boards, and I added 20 users to the workplace. 5 Boards will be public, but only 1 can be seen by the accounting team. Can I restrict that knowing that everybody has access to the workplace?

My sincere thanks to you!

Gaurav Kataria
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 11, 2024

a) Here is how you can move boards between workspaces: https://support.atlassian.com/trello/docs/moving-a-board-to-a-different-workspace/

b) You need to pay for only Workspace members and multi-board-guests. You don't need to pay for single-board-guests. Here are more details on how billing works: https://support.atlassian.com/trello/docs/how-billing-works-with-trello-premium-and-standard/

c) In free workspace all users are admins so you cannot have fine-grained access controls, however, once you upgrade to the paid plan, workspace members will only be able to see boards that they are a member of or the ones that are accessible to everyone on the workspace. Private boards will not be visible to everyone. More details on workspace management are available here: https://trello.com/guide/permissions-controls#workspace-administration

Like # people like this
Gabriel Cambronero March 12, 2024

Thank you Guys!! I really appreciate it.

Like Sal likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events