Trello - Change board ownership

Randall July 9, 2017

Hi all, appreciate your help in this as i've not received a response from Trello even after a 3 enquiries.

My team uses a trello board. We started the board about 3 years back. The 3 admin have left the company and do not have access to their old company email addresses anymore for password retrieval. In the beginning the admin were testing and added me as a "non team member". However at this point i'm the only one remaining in the company and using the board.

I would like to transfer ownership to me but obviously as I'm not admin, I can't go into the settings to change theirs, or mine. 

It sounds like this may need to be done by Trello, but as said, no response from them. Appreciate any tips/tricks to get it done!

Thanks! 

1 answer

0 votes
Matthew N
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2017

Hey Randall

Trello Support, unfortunately, cannot alter admins on behalf of a user for security purposes.  

There's some guidance on how to possibly gain admin control of the boards (perhaps by having your IT team enable their work email and giving you access and then you reset the password, etc) and then be able to assign you as admin of the team/board.

If you're not able to gain control as admin using any of the methods outlined in the document linked above, perhaps copying the board from it's current state into your personal boards would be an ideal workaround.

Randall July 10, 2017

Hi Matthew

Thanks for the help! Appreciate it. Unfortunately your first suggestion won't work (tried it). 

I did try to copy, but then you lose all the comments it seems (i.e. history of the card). Is there any way to have a complete copy over of all contents? That would be ideal

Thanks much!

R

Matthew N
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2017

Unfortunately not, tha is one of the downsides of having to do a copy rather than changing admin.

Caity
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2017

As an alternative to copying, you could create a new blank board, and then move all of the lists from the old board to the new one. This will keep the comments and card activity in tact.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events