Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trello Card Assignments to Non-Board Members

Tim Nguyen November 5, 2019

I am the CEO of the company and have a Master To Do board for myself that contains my personal tasks/projects, and those that I delegate out. For me serves as a 360 view across the company. It has the following lists: Icebox, Backlog, In Progress, Monitor and Done. "Monitor" is used for when I delegate something to one or more people.

I want to be able to assign a certain cards from to others, but I dont want them to be a part of my entire board. Is this possible?

I am trying to refrain from making new Boards, because sometimes it is a task as opposed to a long-term project. And when I have too many Boards, it gets lost in the shuffle. I could link a card to a Board, but didnt think that was a good long term solution and thought there may be a better way?

Thanks all!

3 answers

0 votes
Yves van Grembergen November 18, 2020

I’m looking for the exact same thing. Isn’t there a power-up for it?

some cards need to be delegated. But I don’t want to give full reading access to the board.

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2020

@Yves van Grembergen your only option is to use automation to copy/link the card to another board visible to that person. There's no way to add a member to a card without that member being on the board.

Rob Jones April 16, 2022

Exactly the same issue here.  I need each card to be shared with specific people, but don't want them to have access to others within the same board.

It doesn't seem that there is a workaround that is efficient enough for me so looks like I won't be moving forward with Trello. 

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2019

@Tim Nguyen one option is to create a board for each team member, then add a label on your master board for each board name, then have a Butler command like:

When I add a label to a card copy the card to list "To Do" on board "{labelname}" and link the cards together

0 votes
Jireh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 5, 2019

Hi Tim,

If you have Business Class, you can invite members as Observers to your board, who can't edit or move cards, but can still view them or comment.

https://help.trello.com/article/732-adding-observers-to-boards

Thanks @Jireh unfortunately that would not help because there are cards I deem to be "private", that no one else should see.

Doesnt sound like there is a way to assign a person unless they are on a board already?

If so, are there any suggested workarounds, or other ways to accomplish the same? For example...

Card #1: Delegated this task.

Card #2: Delegated this project.

Card #3: This is my task.

Card #4: This is my project.

I need to see that I delegated #1 and #2 to Mary and Bob.

Since #1 is a task, I just need to be able to see who owns it without having to open the card.

Since #2 is a project I can justify creating a linked board, but still I would like to see who owns it without having to open the card.

Since #3 and #4 are owned by me, no assignment is required.

Btw, what I have been doing is adding the person's initials at the end of the card description. But that doesnt allow that "assigned" person to see it on their board. That is the power I am trying to unlock.

Bottomline... I am trying to assign tasks/projects, and be able to see it in my Master Board.

Like Michael Mikail likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events