Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips and tricks for establishing project requests tracking system?

Ada Liaw-Martinez September 16, 2019

Trello newbie here... I'd been on the journey of finding a tool to replace my team's wiki for project requests intake, tracking, collaborations, documenting, etc. Originally I considered Jira as I had prior experience using Jira for project tracking/management purposes. However, I'd been told that my stakeholders (those who will be submitting requests) will have a steep learning curve, while they're already familiar with Trello for their own projects and agile sprints and such. I'm in the process of replicating the old environment into Trello as much as possible. I'd appreciate any tips and tricks and lessons learned from the community while I'm migrating over to Trello. Thanks in advance! 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2019

Trello is a fantastic format for this. My company uses Github, and i don't love it because that's not at all what GH was meant for. 

I would recommend starting with a fairly simple set up that includes a list layout that looks something like this. 

image.png

And when people want to create a request, they just add a card under requests. To make things easier for you and your team, I would create a standard card at the top that people can copy to make requests - that way you have a standard amount of info to be provided, rather than somebody jumping in and making a confusing request. 

Maybe you could set it up like this: 

image.png

Depending on what all you wanted to know, you could also use the Custom Fields Power-Up to make sure people fill out specific pieces of info, like what Department this is for, or people they want to review the project, etc. 

Then I would recommend your team take it from there and add labels and members to categorize it, move it into To Do, etc. 

There's also some really cool reporting power-ups that can show you how long things sit in lists and how many cards you're moving around if you want to be able to report back on it. 

Ada Liaw-Martinez September 17, 2019

@Brittany Joiner Thank you so much! This is SUPER helpful! I did start with the list layout and create a test card with check list. The standard card template for people to copy is a great idea! Thanks again!

Like Brittany Joiner likes this
Ada Liaw-Martinez September 17, 2019

@Brittany Joiner Once a card/request is completed, how do i find out who and when completed it? is it something hidden in plain sight that I'm just not seeing? 

<Never Mind... I'd found the answer myself.>

Like Brittany Joiner likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events