Template project structure

Kelvin Jin-Yang January 12, 2022

Hi All,

I run multiple projects every year and I am struggling to find if there is a way to copy the structure (epics, stories, etc.) I had for 1 project to another. Each project is very similar and repeats yearly. The only way I'm seeing is to copy the same epics, stories again which is quite time consuming. Any way to save a project as a template and use it again every year. Thanks in advance for any help!

Kelvin

2 answers

1 vote
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2022

@Kelvin Jin-Yang 

One recommendation I use for my client is to have board that contains the WBS as workproducts/task and subtask and assign them progressive to projects. Each workproduct/task and its linked subtasks is a list on the Projects board.

Work is reported and recorded within each list and it can be archived together or send to a project history board if so required.

When using workproduct/task is marked as completed, it project card is return to the board where the next workproduct/task of the project can be assigned and send to the Projects board.

The concept is similar to epic and stories, but I built the capability to customise the WBS/task and subtasks to suit different project needs.

Kelvin Jin-Yang January 13, 2022

Thanks, @milynnus, could you provide some guidance on how you built the capability? did you have to code? I have a non-technical background and I'm trying to see if there is a feature that's low code that's possible to replicate what you are describing

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2022

@Kelvin Jin-Yang 

My contact me details are on my profile page. Please use the form so I sent you more details. 

0 votes
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2022

Hi @Kelvin Jin-Yang are you using Jira or Trello? It sounds like you're referring to Jira, but you've posted in the Trello forum. I don't believe it's possible to create custom projects in Jira for the moment, but you can create a new project and just select the option to copy the config from another project. You just need to follow the new wizard when creating a project, select the template that looks the closest to what you're using (i.e. Kanban, scrum), and just make sure you select the "company managed" project type in the next step. From there, you'll see the option to copy the configuration from an existing project.

There are also some paid add-ons available such as Deep Clone for Jira which can offer you this functionality

I found this request here to develop a template feature if you wanted to upvote it! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events