Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRELLO - How to make it so that you can only see the cards you are assigned and nothing else

Jonathan Do February 28, 2019

Good morning everyone,

Working on creating a workflow for a colleague of mine and he has a requirement where he wants assignees to only see the cards that are assigned to them. They are from different teams and they should not be able to look into other team's work.

Is there a way this can be configured in Trello or via a Power Up?

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 28, 2019

@Jonathan Do you can't restrict access, but you can filter a board to show only cards assigned to yourself (either by going to the filter menu or by hitting the "q" key).

If various teams should see each others' cards, then you can just have boards that are not team visible, and add the required team members to each board.

But what you can't do is have a member of a board, who is unable to see cards on that board assigned to other members - there's no access controls for cards within a board.

You could, however, use a setup for this with Butler or another API automation like Trellinator.

For example, here's a way this could work:

On your "master board" where all the tasks for all individuals live, you can set up one label per member, named after their username, and one board per member, with the board named after their username.

You could automate the management of these boards and labels by having a list called "Users" in your master board and, when a card is added to that list name it after that user, for example I would create a card there called "iaindooley". This could automatically create my board, and add the label.

When you add that label to any card, it will create a copy in that person's board, and then add a link to that copy onto the card in the master board.

You can then synch changes back from that copy such as completing checklist items, changing the due date, changing lists, etc. so that you can see in a reporting sense everything that's happening on each member's board, from the master board.

Zvi Epner July 1, 2020

That worked, thanks.

Andy Coates July 30, 2020

Amazing, there should just be a massive pop-up on the first day of using Trello that says "Just press Q"!

A more intuitive version would be to allow you to click your avatar to filter, the same as on a Jira board.

Like # people like this
Grupo Smart Leiloes October 11, 2023

@Iain Dooley my company intends to use trello as a CRM, where each card would be a unique customer (we may achieve dozens or hundreds of customers soon).

We intend to provide them access ONLY to their specific card (e.g. invited as viewer), because the cards will have customers sensitive information.

Is that possible?

We are looking for a solution using only one board.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Daniel Offerman February 28, 2019

With labels. 1 color = 1 Team

If we didn't have a need for each team to only see their own assigned cards, this would be a great solution. Apologies for the bolded text, just wanted to make it clear that it's a requirement.

Like Vincent Oh likes this
Daniel Boutros August 25, 2021

Did this ever get solved? I need this function as well.

Lucas Pessoa March 29, 2024

Hi @Daniel Boutros and @Jonathan Do !

I've been working on a platform that is specifically designed for this case where you need people to only have access to things they are a part of. Could I show it to you and get your feedback? And if you'd like I'd be happy to let you guys use it in your companies :)

Thank you!

0 votes
marc -Collabello--Phase Locked-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 28, 2019

If they are on different teams, just make a separate board for each team.

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the suggestion! This process is a reoccurring one that happens very often and i'm scared that we'll quickly build out hundreds of boards. We can't really delete old boards either because the various teams want to be able to go back and review their assigned cards.

Like Daniel Boutros likes this
Grupo Smart Leiloes October 11, 2023

@marc -Collabello--Phase Locked-  my company intends to use trello as a CRM, where each card would be a unique customer (we may achieve dozens or hundreds of customers soon).

We intend to provide them access ONLY to their specific card (e.g. invited as viewer), because the cards will have customers sensitive information.

Is that possible?

We are looking for a solution using only one board.

Jackie Nash March 29, 2024

Hi there, did you get an answer to this query as we are looking at doing the same?

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events