Synchronize 2 Trello cards in 2 different boards with butler

Factor Movil April 24, 2019

Hi there;

This is the scenario:

I have board A for project 1.

I have board B that keeps track of all projects from other boards.

I want to have a card in board B for project 1(Board A) that gets updated once the card called "First Sale" is moved to complete in Board A.

Is this possible to achieve this by using Butler?

Thanks

2 answers

1 vote
Katrin Anger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2019

@Factor Movil 

Hi, that's certainly possible.

I don't know exactly what kind of update you want to have on the card on your Master board. You could have labels added, stickers added, moved to card to the top, have a comment added ...

Basically, the way to go is using a rule:

Rule-Cross-Board.png

By using additional variables (in the post comment sequence), you could for instance

• add a direct link to the card {triggercardlink}
  • track who moved the card {username}
  • add a time stamp for when the card was moved: {date}, {time}, etc.

Let me know if you have other questions I could help you with.

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2019

@Factor Movil yep so what you would do is have a card in a "Project Info" list in board A which linked back to the overview card.

Here's the Butler command that would do this:

when a card with a name starting with "First Sale" is moved into list "Complete", find a card titled "Board Card Link" in list "Project Info", for each card linked in the attachments, add the check sticker to the card

So you would set that command up on your template board, then copy that board to create a new project and it would retain that butler command, then you'd paste the link to that board onto the corresponding card in board B, and paste a link back to that card into the Board Card Link of your new project board.

Butler Bot used to be able to copy boards, but it looks like that feature's not in the Power Up.

You could automate the copying part with Trellinator like this:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/8dc3860894972714d0e1eaba7763a424

Note that because you can do that "addBoardToGlobalCommandGroup" you could also install the functionality to update the project card by adding this Butler command to the "Project Boards" global command group:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/94e91b4a5a656803f52fcff011c33e3c

You can see how to set up Trellinator here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-articles/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events