Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start and end dates within custom fields

Daniel O-Connor September 13, 2019

Hello, I'm new to Trello and I'm wondering if there is a way to assign start and end dates to custom fields within a Trello card and also assign a team member to the task in the custom fields so that I can track work assignments over periods of time within a calendar for individual team members.  Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2019

@Daniel O-Connor it sounds like what you want to do is have a single card that acts as a collection point for sub-tasks, each of which has their own start and end dates and person assigned to them. If that's the case, you could use the sub tasking methods I outlined here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-articles/Trello-Subtasks-with-Butler/ba-p/1060392

combined with custom fields you will be able to track individual progress of related cards with their own dates

Daniel O-Connor September 17, 2019

Lain, thanks for the response and help.  I was able to follow what you outlines in the link and set up Subtasks for individual Trello cards.  Is there a way to include a start date along with the end date for each subtask?  My goal is to be able to view the subtasks timelines like a Gant chart.  I don't know if that is possible with wth Calendar or Planyway Planner.  

Regards,

Dan

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 1, 2019

@Daniel O-Connor the only way to include start and end dates for tasks is using the custom fields power up, but you can also set start/end dates in Placker which is a great charting tool for Trello.

0 votes
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 16, 2019

Hey there! Welcome to the wonderful world of Trello!

So first I just want to ask, what's your end goal here? If it's to measure how long it takes someone to do a project, you could use some power-ups such as Time In List and craete a workflow of To Do (list), Doing (list), Done (list), and you can see how long a card sits in Doing (or how long it has sat in To Do before someone started working on it).  This might be the easiest. 

But to answer your original question about using fields......

You probably don't need to use custom fields for assignment a person, you can just assign someone via the Members field that's already there (default field). As for start and end dates, you can probably choose the end date to be also use the Due Date field that's already another default field that comes on every card. Even if you set it at the end, (for example you don't set that until the project or task is completed.) But you could also just create a custom field for End Date if you'd prefer, since you'll be creating one for Start Date as well.

As for being able to figure out the time in between the start and end date, I would recommend getting business class and exporting the Trello board as a CSV. (See Show Menu --> More --> Print & Export).

There might be some power ups that would do the math between two custom fields, but I actually don't know of any at the moment. Going to follow this thread to see if anyone else suggests some. 

Daniel O-Connor September 17, 2019

Hi Brittany, thanks for the response.  What I'm trying to do is create a Trello card for each one of our projects and within that project have 4 or 5 tasks that I can assign to different team members, and for each one of those tasks assign a start and end date.  I would like to be able to then view those tasks with start and end dates in a calendar format so I can see the work load of the team members who may be assigned tasks from multiple projects (Trello cards).  Something similar to a Gant chart where I can visualize if a team member is overloaded with tasks assigned to them in a given week or month.  Hope that makes it clearer.  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events