It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Some basics needed on Trello's Rest API Edited

Hey everyone

I am very new to working with APIs but have used Trello for a long time. At my workplace, I have got my team using Trello to manage our tasks. I'm responsible for producing a weekly report on the progress of said tasks. Currently I do that using a connection with Bridge24, a filter within Bridge24 to export to Excel. Then I use Get&Transform to query the export to produce what I want. This is a fairly complicated way of doing it, but now it's set up, isn't too time consuming.

What I really want to do is use Trello's API and plug that into Microsoft Power BI and have the data from Trello refresh instantly.

I have been experimenting and can get certain information into PowerBI as a query from data source type "web".

When I'm researching and looking for answers, I see a lot of posts that say something along the lines of: "you need to call this and then call this". Is this done in one long URL, or do I need to make multiple URLs and string them together somehow (in PowerBI, blank query and use PHP or something?

I have many questions but I'll start with this one first!

Thanks for reading.

2 answers

0 votes
Iain Dooley Community Leader Nov 20, 2018

@Dean_Rowntree You might like to try this framework I wrote for automating Trello with Google Apps Script:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-articles/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

It dramatically simplifies the task of creating complex automations, including reporting. It's loosely based on the work from this guy:

http://www.littlebluemonkey.com/blog/automated-trello-reporting-using-google-spreadsheets

Thanks @Iain Dooley, I have previously seen the Little Blue Monkey post you linked but that seemed too vague, or assumed I need to know a lot more, for me to know where to start.

I am interested in your post and will look at setting that up with my personal account first and see what I can achieve.

0 votes
marc Community Leader Nov 21, 2018

@Dean_RowntreeUsually, when you use the Trello API, you can get some information in a single call (i.e. using a single URL).  However for more advanced reporting, you'd need multiple calls like:  Get all cards on a board.  Then for each card, get some information.

This would require some programming from your end.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

Develop a new Habit during Lockdown

If you had to thrive a new habit during a lockdown, what would it be? Trello

1,567 views 13 5
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you