Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share just one column with a person

Manuela H March 22, 2022

I have created a board to use for myself but also for my clients. Each list I create is for one client. How can I get them to see only their list and not the lists of the others? They are all on the same board. I don't want to create an extra board for each client. There are too many. Thanks!

2 answers

3 votes
Felix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 23, 2022

Hey @Manuela H - congrats on having so many clients! 😄

In addition to Nathan's suggestions, you could also check out the External Share Power-Up  which lets you create links for each client to see a sub-section of the board, based on filter criteria you define.

Manuela H March 23, 2022

Hi Felix, thanks for your great answer! I'm impressed. What can you tell me about customer privacy? I would like to put in sensitive information such as name, email and health status. How many people and who will have access to it? Best, Manuela

Felix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 23, 2022

That Power-Up is a third party offering, so you'd need to ask the vendor that question. They're active on this community too  - @Adam Cao 

https://www.tinypowerups.com/privacy <- this is that vendor's privacy policy.

In general, if you grant an integration to access your account in Trello, you'll be presented with what data the integration can access and modify.

For the Trello side, in terms of privacy, see https://trello.com/trust

In terms of who on the integration-side has access to the data you're allowing them access to, it varies vendor by vendor, and each has their own policies.

Manuela H March 24, 2022

@FelixI have now sent a list to one of my clients. He can read it perfectly but can't seem to write into it. Whom do I need to contact in order to find out if the person is able to write into the list as well so this will be an exchange? Or will that happen once I have paid? Thanks a lot!

Artemis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2022

Hi @Manuela H — the power-up only lets your client see the list but doesn't let them edit the cards. To edit the cards, your client needs to be a member of the board which will let them see all of your lists/cards on the board. If you have additional questions about the power-up, the developer at Tiny Power-Ups Club can help. Their email is on the power-up page Felix linked here.

If editing is a requirement, Nathan's suggestion of moving the list to a new board by itself is the best way to go. Invite your client to the new board and they'll only see that list and can comment/edit on the cards. :)

Manuela H March 25, 2022

@Artemisthat is of no use to me since my clients order products, each their own individual ones from different websites and I need to keep track who has been able to order what, when it has arrived and if they are using the product. They would need to write that information, as well as ask me if I need to get them a bulk order whoch only I can get. Once I have 150 clients that would mean looking at 150 boards. Surely there must be a way of making the lists interactive. Otherwise they need to write emails, WhatsApp, Telegram messages, Signal messages, Facebook messages etc. and it is up to me to include in into their lists. That's not an option, I'm afraid.

Felix
Atlassian Team
March 25, 2022

If you want clients to be able to only add cards to your board/lists, you could consider something like https://www.bluecatforms.com/ to allow clients to submit requests/create cards on your board

Like Artemis likes this
Artemis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2022

Sorry to hear that isn't an option, @Manuela H. Unfortunately your use case isn't natively possible because your client can't edit the cards if they aren't a member of the board. That's a restriction set by Trello and there isn't a way around it right now. 

In Trello, the comment or edit has to be committed by an account with access to the board. In order to give them editing access they have to be invited to the board, letting them see all the cards on the board. There's a setting that allows anyone with a Trello to comment on a card without being a member of the card, but you have to give the board public visibility. That opens the board up to the entire internet, which I'm sure you don't want to do, as it entirely defeats the purpose of sharing individual lists. :(

I was thinking of some workarounds this morning and it sounds like your use case could align with Hipporello, a 3rd party service that can transform your board into a service desk. It will let customers communicate with you on cards without needing access to your boards. They can't edit the cards, however, so it would be up to you to change titles, descriptions, and any non-comment feature in the card. There's actually a blog that goes over a similar use case as yours, and details some ways to use their product to communicate with customers without revealing your entire board, while also letting you keep communication in Trello. Read that here. https://www.hipporello.com/blog/let-your-non-trello-customers-create-cards-on-trello/

Sounds like Hipporello has a basic free tier and charges a fee for more features, so I'd encourage you to take a look at the free offering and see if it will work for you. You could pair it with the External Share Power-Up so clients could still look at the cards in the shared lists while also adding comments to the cards. Hope this helps.

1 vote
Nathan Smith
Atlassian Team
March 23, 2022

Hi @Manuela H 

Nathan here from Trello Support

Right now there's no way to give someone access to only one list on a board, when you give someone access to a board they'll have access to all the lists and cards on that board.

The only option for only granting people access to specific lists would be to split those lists between multiple boards and only give people access to the boards that contain the content they need access to.

If you wanted to avoid having to manage these across multiple boards you could always try one of the Third-Party Power-ups that are able to mirror cards from one board to another so you could have your lists on multiple different boards so your clients only have access to the content they need and you could then mirror the content from those boards onto one overarching board that you could then use to manage these cards. Here's a link where you can view these Power-Ups - https://trello.com/power-ups/search?q=mirror

Manuela H March 23, 2022

Hi Nathan, thanks a lot for your super fast reply. I appreciate it. I want to share info with my clients and since their number is exploding and I need to keep track of what I said to whom and who has ordered what I am at a loss as to how to do it. Each person is totally different and products they need to access and buy are numerous and getting more by the day. If you have any idea how to go about it with Trello please share it with me. Thanks a lot. Manuela

Nathan Smith
Atlassian Team
March 24, 2022

Hey @Manuela H 

For sharing information from your boards while keeping the boards easy to manage, it definitely seems like the Power-up Felix recommended is a good option for this. I've not used it personally but it seems like this should be able to do what you're looking for

Manuela H March 24, 2022

Nathan, if it works and I am trying it out as we speak, it would be ace. Imagine, each person has their own path and they update me on the arrival of each new product they need to take and the improvement of their health. I can't wait to see it work! Have a splendid day!

Like Nathan Smith likes this
Manuela H March 24, 2022

@Nathan Smith Nathan, how can I open attachments to look at in Trello without downloading it every time?

Nathan Smith
Atlassian Team
March 25, 2022

Hey @Manuela H 

It depends on the type of file you're trying to open, if it's an image or a PDF you should be able to preview these without any issues just by clicking on them. 

What type of file are you trying to open?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events