cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set absolute position of a card in a list

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2022

I have recently seen behavior in my main Trello Board where the cover cards on the top of the lists are being driven down to lower positions in the list. i am not sure if I have some automation set up that is causing this, or what other gremlins may be in my Trello Board doing this. Is there a way to set an absolute position on a card or cards so they remain on top or in second position in a list?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2022

@Andy Gladstone got a couple ideas for you here!

1- so i assume its probably happening because there's some rule that adds new cards to the "top" of the list. you could check and see if there's any rules enabled on the board with actions that are moving cards to the "TOP" of the list, and then you can change it to the bottom. 

Kapture 2022-06-23 at 10.11.31.gif

2- easiest thing to do is probably add a label to that card you want at the top (like "keep me first", and then you could set up a rule that anytime a new card is added to the list, sort the list by label (so that your card cover with the label is sorted first, and everything else after). 

image.png

Don't worry - if you use the full card cover where it colors the card and not just the line at the top, it will actually hide the label so you won't even see it on the cover. 

Here's what the rule would look like:

image.png

Just tried this out and it seems to work!

Kapture 2022-06-23 at 10.14.39.gif

Let me know if this makes sense, and if not, I'm happy to record a quick loom explaining how to do it! (Might do that anyway haha)

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 23, 2022

Yep went ahead and made a video 😂

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 23, 2022

Awesome, worked for me! And thanks for the YouTube shout out. I appreciate the quick answer and graphic representations of your descriptions.

Like Brittany Joiner likes this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 23, 2022

@Andy Gladstone yay glad it worked!! And no problem 😊

Jeff Geurts December 8, 2022

This is excellent! Is there a clever way to persist these top cover cards when filtering?

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2022

@Jeff Geurts yeah! just make sure you select the label as part of your filter! By default it will match _any_ thing that is in your filter, so if you add dates and members and the label, it should keep the label. If you don't see it make sure you have the filter settings for "any" instead of "exact" at the bottom of the filter menu.

image.png

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Jeff Geurts December 11, 2022

Yeah, thanks ... I was hoping there might be a way to have them pinned even when they don't match the filters (since I'm using them as colourful column headers). Not a big problem, since I can at least ensure they remain at the top for any search/filter links I share with others.

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events