Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching for cards (open and archived) with a keyword in it, but only in a certain board

Allan Smith October 25, 2022

Searching in trello is a nightmare. All I want is to search for a keyword that I know is in a card, but only search for cards in a certain board, not all boards.

The search syntax doesn't work. If I type "board:" none of the board IDs work, and I can't even type a keyword directly in the board title. No matter what, it says no results.

How do I perform this search?

Intuitively, it would be Board:*keyword* Card:*keyword* but clearly that's too easy. This has plagued me for years I've just got to figure it out and stop spending 20 minutes each time to find one dang card.

1 answer

1 vote
Tristan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 25, 2022

Hello Allan! If you are wanting to perform a search for cards that are only on a specific board in advanced search, you just need to only utilize the board syntax, and then right after typing in either the ID or keyword, just type in the keyword that you are looking for. Doing so should return cards that are on the board you specified that contain the keyword you are searching for.

So, for example, if you were to say look for a card that is named "Shoes" on the board "Purchases", the advanced search could look like:

board:Purchases shoes

or you could also use the board's ID that you can grab in the URL of said board and it will look like this:

board:aBcDeFG shoes

I hope that this information helps you out!

Tristan
Atlassian Support - Trello

Allan Smith October 26, 2022

Holy heck that works perfectly! Woooo! Thanks.

Edit: not for nothing, but trello might want to update the primary help articles around searching trello. I read a couple of them multiple times and they never spelled it out like you did.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events