Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search / Filter on custom field (date) not working

Colin Kuecherer October 1, 2019

I have enabled the Custom Fields power-up - and created a new field with Date format - I assign a date to all of my card in this field, but the search does not find this value all of the time.   I will have 10 cards that have the same date  Oct 3 (or in a different language format 3 Oct) and the search may only find 1 or 2 ..  

Any ideas?  

1 answer

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 1, 2019

@Colin Kuecherer there doesn't appear to be any match based on custom field date value. I think that what you're seeing is a title or text field match, that's why you're seeing 1 or 2 but not the rest.

Yeah, you are probably right.

any way to enable this? Or suggestions? I am trying to track and retain a date value for when a card reaches a specific lane and then keep that date available to search/filter in throughout the card lifecycle.

Currently using butler to fill the date automatically when a card hits lane x...

thanks

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 1, 2019

@Colin Kuecherer okay so if I understand correctly, what you want to be able to do is say something like "show me cards that hit list X on date Y" right?

The only way to filter cards on a board is using due date, so if you're using due date for something else then you're out of luck.

However there are a couple of solutions that I can think of that might give you something close to what you want.

The first is to have a daily Butler report that gives you a list of all cards that have a custom field date set to a fixed time prior to today:

https://help.trello.com/article/1192-creating-reports-with-butler

I haven't done much work with Butler reports but it looks like this should be possible, it depends on how flexible the date arithmetic is for custom fields. Then you'd be able to find that report in your email when you wanted to see that list of cards.

Another kind of zany solution would be something like this:

Create a card in a list over on the right something like "Find Cards by Moved Date" or something, then have a Trellinator command like this that will move cards to the top of their current list which have a custom field matching the date you select:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/0fc3eecc62f1ef20e144cea3d1fb048d

You could also do something like apply a label to those cards like "TIMESTAMP filter" which you could then filter on and delete afterwards if you wanted to preserve the vertical order of cards in their lists.

You can read more about Trellinator here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

Yes, you understand correctly-Thanks for the suggestions.  I will have to play around a bit more I guess.

seems like such a simple task to search on date custom field..

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events