Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restrict board members to only copy and not move cards from a "master" source list.

David Saunders June 7, 2020

I am developing a board with very many predefined cards in a depository list that I want to lock down to retain exclusive control over edit (and move) while the cards are in that locked list.  I encourage members to copy any cards they may need into adjacent lists rather than move, but sadly this is easily overlooked and needs massive housekeeping to rectify errors.

When a card has been copied from the depository and deployed for further use, members should be able to have normal full control over it and the rest of the board thereafter.

It may be that members will develop or initiate new cards that need to be represented back in the master depository list.  It would be helpful if they could achieve that, but not at the expense of compromising the primary objective of locking down any card moves out of the list.

How do I achieve this in the environment where I've been promised I can do anything?  Please don't say its not possible.

;)

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2020

@David Saunders one option would be to make your depository "team viewable", add everyone to your team so they can see the board, but not join or edit it, then allow them to comment.

On that board, create a Butler command like this:

2020-06-09 at 3.36 pm.pngThen, when someone wants to copy a card to a board for use they post a comment:

copy to My Board

David Saunders June 9, 2020

Thank you, Iain, that certainly seems like a way forwards, though a bit of a palaver.  I'll give it a whirl.

Stay Safe!

David

0 votes
Soumyadeep Mandal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2020

Hi @David Saunders ,

Welcome to the community!

Adding observers to boards

Teams that subscribe to Trello Business Class can add "Observers" to boards within their team. Observers are board members that are able to view a board and the cards within the board, download card attachments, comment and vote on cards if that is enabled for the board, and export the board.

Observers are not able to move or edit cards, upload card attachments and Observers can't change board settings.

Because an Observer is a board member permission and not a membership type, a Business Class board admin can set both team members and Guests as an Observer on a board. There are no limits to how many Observers you can have on a board, and an Observer can be a billable team member or Multi-Board Guest or a non-billable Single-Board Guest. To understand if an Observer is billable, check out the page How Billing Works with Trello Business Class

Add an observer

To add someone to your board as an Observer, click "Invite" from the top of the board. Enter the member's username or email address. When you choose the person to add, the default choice is to add them as regular board members, but you can click on the down arrow to change that to "Add as Observers."

Change a member's permissions to Observer

To change a current board member's permissions to Observer, click their avatar from the Members section of the board menu, select "Change Permissions" and select "Observer". Please note that only team admins and board admins can change a board member's permissions.

Change a board member's permissions to Observer.

See also:

I hope it will solve your problem!

David Saunders June 9, 2020

Hello SaM

And thank you for all the detail.  However your approach seems not to allow for:

"When a card has been copied from the depository and deployed for further use, members should be able to have normal full control over it and the rest of the board thereafter."

Like Soumyadeep Mandal likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events