Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting card count by list

Gerardo Blitzer May 6, 2020

Hi.

Thanks to a post by @Devon Henderson I was able to create and run my very first Butler report. It will list all active cards by list in a given board.

Is there a way I can get count of cards per board included in a report?

I know I can open my current report and do a manual count, but I would like to automate this.

Thanks.

Gerardo

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2020

@Gerardo Blitzer butler reports loop through cards, not lists, so there isn't a variable that will be available to tell you the number of cards in a list, or number of cards in a board. 

What would you want this to look like and why? There might be another way to achieve the same outcome.

Gerardo Blitzer May 7, 2020

I need to know on a daily basis how many cards there are in each list of a given board.

Currently, I do this manually and it takes me a minute but there are a couple of reasons why I want to automate it: (a) I want to take this task out of my head :) and (b) I want to learn more about automating tasks in trello!

(I checked Trellinator a bit but I will not go into that, it looks quite complicated...)

Thanks!

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2020

@Gerardo Blitzer you could use something like this Chrome extension:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/original-card-counter-for/ggamggchfpnmhmkeicjgpedgjcllcefp?hl=en

the only challenge is that it won't work on any platform other than Chrome. And yes Trellinator can be a bit tricky but this function will update list counts if you name the list like "List Name (0)" and the advantage is that it will run on any platform:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/a440a6a91b68676f489a0b64652b95ac

I used this function to replace DashCards that Butler used to have :) It winds up looking like this:

2020-05-07 at 10.21 pm.png

The only disadvantage is that it kind of complicates things because any automation that requires list names needs to take into account the fact that the end of the list name changes so you need to remember to use "starting with".

However an advantage of this approach for your use case is that the list name will have the number of cards in it, so you should be able to use the {cardlistname} variable in your report to tell you in the email how many cards are in each list at the time the report is created.

You'll just need to use a wildcard in your Butler report for the list name like "Lead in ({*})" so that it matches the list regardless of what the card count has been updated to.

Like Gerardo Blitzer likes this
Gerardo Blitzer May 7, 2020

I use Chrome and added the Ultimello extension. I like it more than the one you suggested.

The good thing about the script is that I can use Butler to run daily.

I think that sooner or later I will have to get into Trellinator and Google Scripts...

Thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events