Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeated Tasks

Ahmed Afifi January 7, 2023

What is the best, most efficient, simplest way to just add regular tasks to repeat.

For example, 3 times a week a team member to do task X.

How can we make a card repeat on the next selected interval (weekly for example) after the current active task X is completed or whatever? Thank you

Card Repeater does not change the dates and Planyway is too complex and offers things beyond the scope of simply repeating a quick task.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2023

Hi @Ahmed Afifi 

Butler, Trello's built-in automation tool might work!

Butler is labelled "Automation" in Trello, available from the buttons near the top of your board. 

Specifically, I think Calendar Commands would be worth checking out for your need - with options to set date fields based on various actions.

If you'd like help with a specific command - let us know the details so we can assist further!

Ste

Ahmed Afifi January 8, 2023

Thank you. Butler opened up a new world for me. 
it doesn’t seem like you can add 2 Date Actions. 
what’s the logical process for completing a task and then repeating the card in the future? 
set due date as checked.

then created a new card with the same information on the new day!

thank you 

or is there a better logic?

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2023

Hi @Ahmed Afifi 

Can I confirm is the need (option 1)...

• Task will be completed 3x a week
  • Task 1 is closed on a Monday, Task 2 should then immediately generate with a due date X days in the future
  • Task 3 will follow a similar path, and generate when Task 2 closes

Or (option 2)...

• Task will be completed 3x a week
  • Tasks will be created on specific days - eg. Monday, Wednesday, Friday

Both are possible using Butler, but use different commands to accomplish them :)

Ste

Ahmed Afifi January 8, 2023

I would like to learn both for my education.  But it seems for this first task we decided to repeat it Mon thru Friday ☺️. Any advice is appreciated.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 8, 2023

Hi @Ahmed Afifi 

I've listed both options below (option 2 should meet your current need).

---

Option 1

This option uses the "Rules" command from the left-hand menu

• Trigger: Card Move
    • Use the - when a card is moved into list - trigger
      • Filter (icon next to when a card...) - filter for the relevant unique parameter to identify this card, eg. a label, or custom field populated, etc
      • Action = moved into
      • List = Done/Closed
  • Action: Add/Remove
    • Use the - create a new card - action
      • Set relevant parameters from here - eg. card name, description, date fields, etc
      • You can use variables to copy data from the "trigger card" and the new one - eg. {triggercardname} would copy the title into the new card - see more on variables on this help page

---

Option 2

This option uses the "Calendar" command from the left-hand menu

• Trigger: every <day here>
    • You can set day/time
  • Action: Add Card
    • Set relevant parameters from here - eg. card name, description, date fields, etc

Note: You need 3 separate rules for this - catering for each day a Task is created

---

Let us know if these work for you!

Ste

Like Ahmed Afifi likes this
Ahmed Afifi January 9, 2023

Perfect and thank you. Another new world has been opened. I am grateful. 

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 9, 2023

No worries :)

If this answer helped resolve your query, could you accept it? This helps other users who might find this question in future understand the answer can help them!

Ste

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events