• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

I have a card linking system that I want to use.

1. A checklist item is added to a card. It creates and links a sub card, then labels that sub card as {triggercardname} - {cardname}

2. When a checklist is all complete, I want it to search for the checklist item on the parent card and check it off. 

My problem in step 2 is that now the checklist item and card have different names since the parent card was added. Is there a way I can just pass the second half of the name? 

i.e.

Using the card title

"SuperProject - Buy Supplies"

to pass along

"Buy Supplies" 

in butler

1 answer

0 votes
Esme Crutchley Community Leader Apr 25, 2020

Hi @Parker Smith 

Welcome to the Community!

I was having exactly the same problem!

What I did was added the parent card to the child card but didn't link them.

Then I was able to run the Butler rule:

Screenshot 2020-04-25 at 08.31.12.png

I have one single trigger card on multiple child cards, so now, when the due date is complete (in my example), it'll find the checklist item on the trigger card and tick it off.

I had to go into each child card and add the parent card by hand though because I already have all the individual cards, so I went to the back of each one, slicked 'Share' copied the link to the card, and then went back to the parent one and added it as a checklist item.

I didn't have mine to change the title, so it was a bit easier, but I don't know if that might be a work around? You could even have it to add the label of a parent card, maybe called something like {triggercardname} as the title of the label, so that you know where it's come from?

Let me know if this is helpful!

Esme :)

Esme Crutchley Community Leader Apr 25, 2020

I'm also wondering if something could be done using the wildcard *

Screenshot 2020-04-25 at 08.39.08.png

I don't use the wildcard at all, so I'll send a link to this thread to the rest of the Trello peeps and see if they have any ideas.

For reference, the Butler Variables can be found here

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

📹 What is Trello?

Hello Community!  My name is Brittany Joiner and I am a Trello enthusiast and Atlassian Community Leader. I'll be sharing with you a series of videos with my top tips on how to best use Trello...

817 views 13 30
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you