Receiving way too many unnecessary notifications - how to filter out some of the noise?

Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2021

Hi all! It would be great to have a way to choose what actions in Trello should trigger a notification. For example, I'd love to only be notified when the following happens:

• When a card is assigned to me (aka I'm added as a member)
  • When someone @mentions me
  • When a card assigned to me is due soon

A lot of the extra noise comes from the cards I'm following. So, if I'm @mentioned in a card, I'll automatically become a follower, meaning I'll be notified of all comments, due date changes, status changes, etc. This creates a lot of spam that I just don't need to be seeing and causes me to almost stop paying attention to notifications altogether.

Here's an example of what Asana offers in regards to notification settings:
Screenshot 2021-08-13 102455.png

I know that Trello doesn't have this functionality yet, but is there any workaround for the moment? I'm thinking along the lines of turning off notifications altogether and getting Butler reports email to me.

Thank you!

1 answer

0 votes
Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 13, 2021

Hi @Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows 👋

You pose a good question! Unfortunately, Trello's base features currently don't offer the level of notification customisation as shown from Asana. Similarly, I've just checked the available Power-Ups and there's nothing that jumps out as helpful. 

I would say your best bet is to turn of notifications and set up Butler if the notifications are becoming too much.

Here's hoping more notification feature settings will come out soon for you 🤞

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any other questions 😃

All the best,

Laura

Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 15, 2021

Thanks, Laura! Understand Trello doesn't offer customization of notifications. Looking to set up a workaround - would you happen to know how to create a report with Butler to get a summary of certain notifications? 

Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2021

Hi @Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows, so you can ask Butler to collect a group of cards from the current board and create a report with their content. For example, if you want to send an email with all the tasks completed this week. You can achieve this by entering this calendar-scheduled command:

every friday at 11:45 pm,
create a report with all cards in list "Done",
and send an email notification to every member of the board
with subject "Weekly Report for week #{weeknumber}"
and message "{$report}"

This could work this same if the certain notifications you speak of can be categorised into a type of action such as new cards or completed tasks. \

To help, I'd recommend reading this step by step from Trello on how to set up a Butler Report: https://help.trello.com/article/1192-creating-reports-with-butler

Let me know if I can help any further 😃

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events