Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Requests

Lewis Turner March 6, 2019

I am using trello to track request's from internal clients and can see that you can e-mail a card in. 

Is there a way i can set up a request form and then users would input there request into this, hit complete, and automatically create a card in my board, in my "Ice-Box" (Unopened requests) list?

Thanks

L

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2019

@Lewis Turner one option would be to have your request form in Google Forms, and set it to wrote the response to a sheet.

You can then set up a trigger in the sheet to execute a function "onEdit" (ie. when a new row is appended to the sheet) to create the card in the required list via the Trello API.

I've created an open source framework for automating Trello with Google Apps Script you can read more about here, that would make it pretty simple to set this automation up from a Google Sheet:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-articles/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

Alternatively, as @marc -Collabello--Phase Locked- said you could use a tool like Zapier to achieve this. Zapier's major downfall is immediacy -- even on their highest paid plan you have to wait 5 minutes for Zaps to run, but on their starter plan it takes 15 mins so getting things to run quickly can be a real hassle.

The way to get around this with Zapier is to use either their webhook or email parsers, both of which cause zaps to be executed instantly. Most form creation tools will allow you to deliver notifications of new form entries either as emails or to a webhook end point, so you can plug this into Zapier, extract the output you want, then create a card in Trello.

Depending on the volume of requests you're expecting, you might find that you can get away with Zapier's free plan and still get instantaneous execution.

Lewis Turner March 8, 2019

Hi @Iain Dooley Thanks! I done it through google forms as you stated with a onFormSumbit trigger.

I'm having an issue with it though which i posted on stackoverflow, is this something you could help with as well?

Trello is creating 2 cards off the back of it and i cant figure out why?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/55059940/google-scripts-e-mail-showing-2-trello-cards

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2019

@Lewis Turner weird ... not sure why it would be triggering twice, but you could just validate the data and only send the email if it's got some content in it.

Lewis Turner March 11, 2019

@Iain Dooley  any advice on where/ how to start with that?

0 votes
marc -Collabello--Phase Locked-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 6, 2019

@Lewis Turneryes, that is possible with e.g zapier.  I'm also working on a power-up which can do this.  Would love to talk about your use case, you can contact me through the link in my profile.

Lewis Turner March 8, 2019

Hi @marc -Collabello--Phase Locked- 

I looked into Zapier first but there website wouldn't work for me. Don't know if there are issues going on but I need a reliable connection and whenever I tried to set up a Zap I would get stuck on a loading screen or would give me a webiste error. Left it for a few days and tried again thinking the issues would be fixed but i got the same result. 

I have done it through google API script.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events