cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Management Start

kevin lee smith
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 3, 2023

I have looked at the templates but none seem to do what i want, so hoping some smart people here can help me.

Its going to be used for a cabinet makers company, so the projects are largely exactcly the same in terms of steps 1) source materials 2) cutting 3) maching 4) construction 5) Paining 6) shipping

I could have each of those as lists, but then to create a project for a client I would have to create an card in each one of those lists - whcih is obviously not ideal.

Essentially I would have clients linking to 1 or more projects linking to 1 or more standard sets of tasks. eg. if the project was to build a kitchen, the tasks would be a, b, c, d, e. If the project was to build a wardrobe, the tasks would be x, y, z.

And to be able to-

- clients view - look at all clients and see what projects are related to them and the progress/status (finished, planned, etc statuses)

- client  view - look at a project for a client and see some projects details and plans, and then for each of the tasks, which of them is planned, in progress (how much %) and see how its progressing  (creating a new project should make all work planned status. Would be great if a client could also look at the progress and details around their project.

-Task view - look at all tasks for all clients and projects in terms of their status/progress 

2 answers

0 votes
Violetta Chernobuk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2023

Hi @kevin lee smith 

I'm Violetta from Planyway power-up.

There are some ideas I have in mind:

I'm sure your ideas of using lists as workflow statuses is the best. And then there are might be different scenarios of how to manage multiple projects within this board structure. We recently released an article where you can read our ideas on multiple project management in detail. But shortly, there are 3 options: 

1) A project is a card

2) A project is a label

3) A board is a project

I didn't get how complicated your projects are, but it seems to me from what you've described that having cards as projects is best. And clients can be represented by labels. 

You can then create a set of card templates with a list of checklist items to represent standard sets of tasks, as you say they are usually the same. 

As for the visualization, I believe Planyway may come in handy.

1) clients view - look at all clients and see what projects are related to them and the progress/status (finished, planned, etc statuses)

You can visualize projects on the timeline view grouped by labels (clients). List statuses can be shown on the card cover.

trello timeline

2) Task view - look at all tasks for all clients and projects in terms of their status/progress 
You can use our board grouping by labels (also clients in your case):
trello swimlanes
Or also use the timeline but grouped by lists:) It's also possible.

Hope my thoughts were useful:)

There are also some tiny apps that can help you build this workflow in a more efficient way. You can check them out here in our best Trello plugins article.

0 votes
Lara
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 7, 2023

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for reaching out!

To achieve this, you could use a combination of methods.

You could set up a client card and attach other cards (i.e. projects, set of tasks) to that client card to show that relationship. Additionally, it might be worth exploring the use of Custom Fields as well. 

In terms of seeing different views, while all the details you've mentioned won't be visible, you can see if any of our Views are applicable to your use case: https://support.atlassian.com/trello/docs/trello-views/.

With all that said, since those Views might not completely fulfil your use case, you may want to check if there are any third-party Power-Ups that offer that functionality here: https://trello.com/power-ups/category/analytics-reporting.

Please let us know if you have any other questions, and we'll be happy to help.

All the best,

Lara
The Trello Team

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events