Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preventing duplicate card creation with Trello Automation

Rron Lamoja April 6, 2023

I'm trying to create an automation rule in Trello using the Trello Automation. I want the rule to create a card on my QA board when a card is moved to the "Ready for Internal QA" list on my original board, but only if a card with the same name doesn't already exist in the entire QA board (regardless of the list it is in).

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to create such a conditional action using the current Trello Automation, as it appears to be more limited compared to the previous Butler implementation.

I've already used the "unique" parameter, but that only works for the specified list, it doesn't lookup the entire board unfortunately.

Can anyone help me find a solution or workaround for this issue? I'm looking for a way to prevent the creation of duplicate cards in the QA board using Trello Automation.

Thank you!

1 answer

0 votes
Vongsawat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2023

Huh. Kept thinking of more and more convoluted workarounds that imperfectly addressed this problem. Then I learnt something new.

If you Find a card by name, and the only card that can be found is the current card, the automation ends early.

Basically an [If this card has a duplicate name, do the following] command

image.png

The second Find is to ensure it jumps to the just copied in card and archives that, instead of the older duplicate.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events