Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible for each user to have their own view in a board?

Henry Chen December 14, 2020

Hi there,

Forgive me for asking a silly question but I wasn't able to find the answer in the search...

I just added my first team members to a board and was wondering if there's an option for each user to have their own unique view of it...such as moving the lists and cards around?

I've tested this live with my team members and every change they made was reflected on my end in real time.

Thanks for your help!

1 answer

1 vote
Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 14, 2020

Hi Henry,

Yes, that's how Trello works.  Every user looking at a board sees the same board.  If you want them to see their own copy, you can "copy" the board and make a different new board.  Does that help?

Hi @Michael Pryor , thanks for your quick help and response. Gotcha, I want everyone to use the same board and see everything in it, but to be able to move around the lists and cards to how they see fit.

For example, team member A to have her list of to-dos on the far left of the board, and team member b to have his list on the far left. So everything is still available to everyone but each person can see the board in their own preferred way.

Just to reconfirm, they would need to create their own board for this to happen? But if they do that, would the boards still be synced with each other? That's the part I'm not sure about. I don't want to have additional boards. Or maybe I'm making this more complicated and this isn't possible :).

Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 14, 2020

That's not possible in Trello without a bunch of weird hacks.  The purpose of Trello is to make sure the group is on the same page, and so the perspective has to be a shared perspective.  

Each user can filter the board to see JUST the cards that have their faces on it if you want.  They can use the keyboard shortcut 'q' which filters the board and hides other cards (the other cards are still there though and all lists are shown).

Instead of using lists to hold a team member's cards, I suggest just "assigning" them to the card (add them on the back of the card by opening it). 

Then you can use the lists to represent some sort of workflow for your group or other way of organizing the tasks.

Great, thank you so much for all of that info, super helpful, and greatly appreciated. I'll learn more about shortcuts and different ways of organizing things to be more efficient. Tanks!

Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 22, 2020

I'm looking at using Unito to achieve something similar to this! Basically, you can create different boards for each of your team members, and then sync the relevant cards from the main board to the individual's board. It's a bidirectional sync so the main board would be kept up to date. Your team members can also organize their own boards as they want, add their own personal items etc. :) 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events