Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Populate checklists with X number of checkitems based on card description

axx30711435 August 8, 2022

Is it possible to create an automation that generates X checklist items in a card based on something in the card title or description, for example?

If the description specified "12 times", could I automatically generate a 12 item long checklist, and so on for any given number?

1 answer

1 vote
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2022

Hi @axx30711435 ! Welcome to the community :) it is definitely possible to automate checklist creation based on different triggers ("when the of a card description contains" is one of them). What would the actual checklist items be?

One way to approach it would be to create templated checklists in a separate card. So let's say you have a card called "Template" and in that card, you have different checklists with titles "1", "2", "3", "4", and so on. Each checklist would contain your checklist items. When a description contains "4 times", it will pull through the "4" checklist with your pre-defined checklist items. 

Here's an example of how it could look using wildcards:

when the description of a card contains "{*} times", add the "{wildcard1}" checklist from card "Template" to the card
axx30711435 August 8, 2022

hi Hannah, thanks for the reply! I am looking to do something like this:

create a card with a description containing something along the lines of Inspect X number of sections which would trigger a checklist to be created with X number of items, like

* "Inspect section 1"
* "Inspect section 2"
* "Inspect section X"

and so on

Would this be possible without having a predefined checklist for every possible amount?

Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2022

hmmm I can't see a simple way to set that up using Trello's butler automation 🤔 @milynnus is the butler expert - maybe he can help?

Like axx30711435 likes this
axx30711435 August 11, 2022

if there's an answer for this, it would really help me determine if Trello is the right tool for me

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2022

@axx30711435 

You probably have to create enough cards with samples of the checklists and do a lookup if you do not have a services to host your http request endpoint. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events