Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performing an action on (only) the card linked from a checklist-item marked as complete.

rax adaam
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2020

I want to implement a simple rule:

When a checklist-item is checked, move the linked card to the list "My List"

However, I can't find any action that allows one to act just on the checklist-item that triggers the rule.

I wanted to use the "find card" functionality; however, because the name of the checklist item is in linked form (i.e. `[{cardname}]({cardlink})` ), the variable {checklistitemname} returns the markdown for the above link, instead of just the card name, so I can't target that specific card. 

As a result, I'm having to use the cascade action "for every completed item in the checklist."

It seems to me it should be possible to either copy the checklist-item-name that is displayed (Vs the markdown) or otherwise extract just the name or link of the card in order to only execute the following steps on that specific card. 

If anyone has an idea of how to accomplish this, please let me know, I'd greatly appreciate your time and help!

All the best,

RA

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2020

@rax adaam You might be able to work around it by adding the item to a temporary checklist first like this:

2020-09-21 at 10.28 am.png

rax adaam
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2020

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply @Iain Dooley - this is effectively what I did, in the end. Have noticed there are a number of small lacunae in the way Butler has been implemented that really take away from its power: I'm losing a lot of time trying to figure out how to work around functionality that ought to be easy to implement, given what Butler already does (e.g. I don't understand why they give different automation possibilities  for rules / calendar / due date: seem to me these are just different trigger types, but I see no reason they couldn't trigger the same actions: for some reason it is not possible to create a *new* checklist with a calendar trigger). 

No doubt it has already come a long way, but as a new user, the choices don't make much sense.

As always, appreciate your time and assistance!

Best,

RA

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2020

@rax adaam yes especially when you look at what Butler Bot was capable of before they turned it into a power up ;) It lost a lot of functionality, that's why I mostly automate with Trellinator now.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events