Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook Email templates with labels using sendboard

FAST IT March 7, 2022

Hi,

This was all created before me, I am taking over the trello board in terms of IT and trying to make things easier for our users.

I have edited some templates we have with labels. we have 4 email templates, the main difference being the Label.

Template

#1.) Urgent Priority

#2.) High Priority

#3.) Medium Priority

#4.) Low Priority

image.png

The 1st issue I am having is when sending emails to our trello board, they do not include the labels or any commands.

https://help.trello.com/article/809-creating-cards-by-email

https://help.trello.com/article/809-creating-cards-by-email#formattingTips

Now we use a custom email address to then forward to sendboard.

for example say my email is 146@ourdomain.com, The email used in the template is it@ourdomain.com these get sent to sendboard then forward to trello. Somewhere this breaks the label or any other trello formatting when creating new cards.

If I use my unique trello id to email the board with the same template no issue so I know the template is working correctly.

Following this link

https://help.sendboard.com/en/articles/4219239-include-variables-in-your-emails-and-saved-replies

{%card.labelnames%}

The names of all the named labels in the card, comma separated

Urgent, Important

"Custom Field Variables

You can also use variables to insert the value of Trello Custom Fields into your emails. Just use the Custom Field name (spaces replaced with underscore "_"), and SendBoard will replace the variable with the value of the custom field. Make sure to wrap the variable name in {% %} characters, just like other variables.

For example, if you have a custom field called 'Order Number', you can insert this value into an email by using the variable name {%Order_Number%} .

Make sure that you use the correct case for your Custom Field names. i.e. If there are capital letters in the Custom Field, the variable should have the same."

This is the part I must be confusing myself, or maybe I am over thinking this.

at 1st I thought for subject line just add example

{%card.labelnames%} #Urgent_Priority "Write Subject Here"

this doesnt work

I then tried

{%#Urgent_Priority%} thinking {% %} this was the key, still didn't work.

image.png

So how do I properly format an email that will 1st go to sendboard using our IT email address that then gets sent to the trello board while maintaining the original senders email address as who sent the email and keep all the formatting when creating cards in Trello. 

1 answer

0 votes
Artemis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2022

Hi @FAST IT, welcome to the Atlassian Community.

Hopefully you've resolved this by now, but I'd encourage you to reach Sendboard directly for some help on this. Hopefully I'm not mistaken, but it sounds like your workflow is correct when using Trello's native board email address, but the breakdown happens when Sendboard is involved. Here's their website: https://help.sendboard.com/en

Please come back here and update us if you figure it out! That will help others having the same issue. :)

FAST IT April 22, 2022

Hi,

I am still trying to get this resolved, I have previously been to sendboard website, that's how I got some of the information on the formatting in sendboard. https://help.sendboard.com/en/articles/4219239-include-variables-in-your-emails-and-saved-replies

Sendboard doesn't seem to have an actual help option other then reading their articles for very specific issues.

My guess is they uses Trello community for feedback?

As of right now, Trello has its own method for adding custom fields into emails. Sendboard also has its own custom field formatting.

If I format in trello, once it hits sendboard it breaks, If i format in sendboard once sendboard sends it to Trello it does nothing. Sendboard needs to keep and send Trello's custom field formatting as is and not mess with it.

If I create custom fields in trello formatting and email trello directly it works, but then I'm using my custom send-to-board email which then shows me creating everyticket

Artemis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2022

Hi @FAST IT! According to SendBoard's website, they provide direct support at the email address hello@sendboard.com. Can you give that email a try and see if they contact you back? 

FAST IT April 22, 2022

Hi,

I did send an email to that address but never got a reply, I do get all of their advertisement emails from hello@sendboard.com so I don't think anyone monitors that email address.

Artemis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2022

I pinged them via their support chat option to see if they can help out here. In the meantime, you can use this Butler rule to achieve the same results. 

when a card with a name starting with "#Urgent_Priority" is added to the board, rename the card to "{textaftermatch}", and add the your-color "Urgent Priority" label to the card

When SendBoard creates the card, Butler will see the failed #Urgent_Priority label text (or any text you want to use — I used "label:priority"), will remove the text from the card name, and applies the right label. 

Like SendBoard App likes this
SendBoard App April 22, 2022

Hi @FAST IT , Mark from SendBoard here.

Firstly, apologies for not picking this up earlier. And thanks to @Artemis for pinging us on our support chat. In future you can send us an email at hello@sendboard.com and we'll get back to you from there.

Regarding your query... I think there is a misunderstanding in how SendBoard variables are supposed to be used. The variables are used for when you send emails from Trello to your contacts. e.g. If you have a Trello card with a label "urgent", you can include the label name in the email you send from Trello using `{%card.labelnames%}` as a variable. The variables can be used within your saved reply email templates so that it's quick and easy to send replies from in Trello.

From your question, it appears that you are trying to use SendBoard variables to affect the formatting of emails you receive in Trello.

@Artemis is correct that you can use Butler if you are wanting to using content in an inbound email to affect labels/lists/fields on the card that is created by SendBoard.

You might be interested in this article for some advanced examples of how to extract content from an inbound email using Butler: https://help.sendboard.com/en/articles/3542667-save-email-details-to-trello-custom-fields

Like Artemis likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events