I often have links to Trello boards or cards in the description field of a Google Calendar event. When I click on those links from Gcal on my iPhone, it opens Trello in my mobile browser (Chrome). I’d rather they opened in the Trello iOS app. How can I make this happen?
I did a bunch of tests, and this process works on iOS13 to fix the issue if you have it
1. Copy a Trello link to the clipboard. You can use the Share button on a card or board in Trello to do this (then choose Copy).
2. Open the iOS Notes app
3. Make a note and paste it
4. TAP and HOLD the link. A menu will pop up
5. Choose "Open in Trello"
6. Trello will open to that link
7. Go back to Notes and now just tap it -- Trello should open without needing the menu
Now your device settings are set so that all iOS apps (and other cooperative apps) will know to not circumvent Trello's configuration.
To explain this in more detail, for a normal (http/https) link to open an app, all of the following must be true
1. The app must tell iOS that it opens links meant for a website (we do this for trello.com)
2. The website must also say that this is ok and provide patterns (we do this for board and card links -- that look like trello.com/c/.... and trello.com/b/....)
3. The source app must not hardcode that it should open up in a browser (the source app is free to circumvent all of this) -- Luckily, from my tests GCal does not circumvent this
4. iOS must be configured to follow the app/website preference and not use Safari. This is the default, but can get unset --- this is what I suspect happened
So, if you follow the process above, you are fixing the issue for #4 above. You are telling iOS that you want it to use the Trello app for trello.com links that match the patterns in #2.
@Marc Plotkin when I do it from gcal on my iphone I get Trello opening directly, which I think is due to the fact that I use Safari as my web browser. Probably this is an issue with Chrome, rather than Trello or iOS. Perhaps you can configure in Chrome which apps it will open for various URL schemas?
Hello Community! My name is Brittany Joiner and I am a Trello enthusiast and Atlassian Community Leader. I'll be sharing with you a series of videos with my top tips on how to best use Trello...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events