Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notifications

Matthieu Bonnici September 30, 2019

Can i customize notifications in a trello board so that evyerone does not have to receive notifications each time a card moves from one list to another?

2 answers

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 1, 2019

@Matthieu Bonnici when a user is added to a card as a member, they automatically "Watch" the card. There is also an option when you add a comment to watch the card, which is ticked by default but you only have to untick it once.

If you're watching a card, you receive notifications about everything that happens, which makes Trello's notifications completely unusable in my experience (and from what I have seen most people just turn off Trello notifications and use another tool like Slack for internal communication, leaving Trello to be more like a whiteboard/planning tool than a communication tool).

You can use Butler to unwatch cards you're added to, but I'm not sure if this will unsubscribe the added member or if it can only be used for the person who enabled Butler, the rule is something like:

When anyone is added to a card unsubscribe from the card

That's the only rule you can create with the power up -- it used to be possible with the Bot to say:

When anyone is added to a card unsubscribe the member from the card

and so long as the member had authenticated with Butler, it would unsubscribe them.

I created an integration called Benko Board which allows you to use Trello as a Gmail client, but it also unwatches any card you're added to anywhere in Trello:

https://trello.com/integrations/#benkoboard

It's installed for a user, not a board, because it's not a power up, so once each person installs it, it will work in any board they are added to.

You can disable the email stuff and use it only for the purposes of unwatching cards you're added to which, imho, makes Trello's notifications actually usable because you'll only get notified about being added to a card, mentioned in a comment, and removed from a card (and of course if you go and watch a list, board or card yourself, you will still get notified, but the default is to have far fewer notifications).

0 votes
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 1, 2019

Hi @Matthieu Bonnici 

Each user can control its notifications and notification schemes if they are watching a

specific card or board. Every user can change the email notification frequency as he like:

Trello's help desk has a great tutorial about setting up notifications; you can see more here:

https://help.trello.com/article/793-receiving-trello-notifications

Hope this helps :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events