Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notification bells are not disappearing

Gabriel Grohmann October 9, 2023

I have tons of notifications in the top right corner accumulating. After checking with my colleagues, I noticed, that for me, the notifications won't go away, if I opened or worked on the card and the bells remain.

Normal behavior should be, as soon as I open a card with a bell icon, the bell should disappear from the card (and I suppose from notifications top right corner, too). However, they stick around until I actually mark them as read in the notification feed (top right). This is quite bothersome. The only thing I changed lately was turning off email notifications completely. However, that shouldn't affect this, right?

Anyone with an idea?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2023

@Gabriel Grohmann nope the email notifications shouldn't affect it. This is expected behavior i think as Trello wants you to acknowledge the notifications. 

You can mark all as read with a click though rather than having to click each one!

image.png

Also if you don't want any reminders there, you can click those three dots next to "Only show unread" and you can choose "never" for notifications. 

image.png

Let me know if that helps!

Gabriel Grohmann October 10, 2023

@Brittany Joiner, thanks for your help. In my case, I do want to make use of the notifications, because they help me to keep track of what's going on. Only, if they keep accumulating w/o disappearing, it becomes very crowded and they don't help anymore.

I took a further look into the matter this morning and noticed, that it doesn't affect all my trello boards. I couldn't figure out, what the difference could be (where it works, I don't have any admin rights / where it didn't work wasn't even one power up activated). Furthermore, there were even cards within the same boards, where for one it (opening a card with a bell notification and subsequently disappearing bell note) worked, whereas on another card within the same board, it didn't. Some even show numbers greater than 1. The only difference there I could find is, that within the comments, I was directly addressed. Meaning I am not only an observant of the card, but my colleague directly addressed a comment to me. However, there aren't even 3 replies, just one.

Anything, how that works different for notifications?

Edit: it even happens, that the number shown on the notification bell is reduced through opening. Just had one case where it decreased from 5 to 2. Scrolling through the whole card didn't make a difference.

Trello card with bell.pngTrello coment.png

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2023

@Gabriel Grohmann ah im not as familiar with the notification icon on a card and what all that indicates to be honest. I really don't pay much attention/notice them often, so im not sure. 

The only thing i could think of - you might be watching some of those cards, which means you get notifications about anything that happens on that card. You can tell if you're watching a card because it will have a little eye icon on the front of card (and you can see on the inside of the card if "Watch" is checked.)

Gabriel Grohmann October 17, 2023

Thanks for your help.

I don't know what the problem was, but it fixed itself after a few days again. Now notification bells are working again as expected and disappear on the card, when opened. I assume it might have been a temporary issue due to something...

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2023

@Gabriel Grohmann must've been a glitch in the matrix! Glad it's working now!  Btw, feel free to accept this answer if it helped - that way folks who are looking for the same can see there is a solution in here!

LIanne Alink
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 18, 2023

I'm experiencing exactly the same issue as Gabriel. The notification icons on the cards remain after I've opened the card. I am indeed watching the cards, but that does not explain this new behaviour - usually the notification disappears after I've viewed the card.

I've noticed that the issue occurs in Chrome but not in Firefox. Other colleagues who use the same board in Chrome don't have the same issue. I've been able to 'fix' the issue temporarily by clearing my cache. However, after that it soon returns. 

Replying here hoping to find a proper solution to the problem. Any ideas? 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events