Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No need for downloading

Rodrigo October 14, 2021

Trello is making me download every file I try to open except for image files. I used to click at the attachment image (not the arrow as it will always open a second tab) and it would just open a window in trello, except when it was a excel file. But now everytime I try to open a PDF file it also makes me download the file so I can open it. If I try to slide from an image file to a PDF file it says "there is no visualization available for this attachment" and there is a button to download it. That is really annoying since I usually need to open around 30 files per card and I don't really need to download it but rather look at it once. Anyone knows what could've happened? Was it a trello's update or something with my browser? I use google chrome.

7 answers

4 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2021

@Rodrigo just answered this on another question and tagged @Jake Rill on that answer: 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-questions/Why-is-Trello-downloading-every-attachment-when-I-click-on-it/qaq-p/1835035#U1835149

That's the statement from the Trello team. It's a side effect from making attachments more secure, and I believe it's on the roadmap for them to build back in the preview feature.

Rodrigo October 14, 2021

@Brittany Joiner thanks for the reply, I hope they fix it soon enough.

Xavier Sanleandro October 15, 2021

Today 15th, the problem is not solved and without being able to open pdf's in the browser Trello is not functional ... omg!!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Myron October 14, 2021

This severely disrupts our workflow! What used to take 2 seconds will now take 5 minutes and may even require printing the files just for a simple quick reference!

Martin Purmensky October 15, 2021

Same issue.  Same complain.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jake Rill October 14, 2021

This is BS.  Will not be using trello much longer if they don't fix this.

Fateh Mammadli June 22, 2022

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pdf-viewer/oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm

Try this extension. I can open the pdf files without downloading them with this extension.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Myron October 14, 2021

Same here. Just started doing this today. Tried refreshing chrome then shut down chrome altogether and restarted but still a no go. Haven't tried rebooting my pc though.

Sara Lingle October 14, 2021

It appears that it is only affecting the PDF filetypes. Any image files like jpg or png open fine without having to download and I am easily able to toggle via arrow keys from one image to the next, but not for PDF.

I noticed the issue this AM. Hoping for a quick resolve, as well.

Also using Google Chrome. I attempted using both Firefox and Edge and had the same issue, so it does not appear to be a browser related problem. 

Martin Purmensky October 15, 2021

@Sara Lingle for years I was able to preview Excel files which was very important for us.  Now, together with PDF, it is not possible. Video files open in new window as well.  Waiting when, for security reasons, JPG preview will be also disabled. 

Sara Lingle October 15, 2021

It is unfortunate, but I am hoping temporary. As of right now due to this disruption, we are saving any PDF documents as duplicates in either jpg or png for viewing purposes only until this is resolved. Keeping our fingers crossed it does not start affecting jpg or pngs as well. We hardly use video or excel, but I can image this disruption being very bothersome for those that use majority excel and video.

It seems that they had to 'temporarily' disable PDF Viewing in Trello to protect everyone's data due to any browser insecurities, so I am hopeful they will be working to fix this. 

Our team received a message that alluded to the issue being hopefully temporary. Copied below if this information helps: 

"Thanks for reaching out! There are actually two separate things going on here.

Brittany responded on that Community post, but to make sure we're on the same page, the first thing to know is that we recently made some changes to how attachments are secured, largely to make sure they’re kept private. Anytime loading an attachment now, checks are made that the person has the board permission to view that attachment, so generally speaking, a good thing. The unintended side effect is that it also made some changes to our preview service, so moving forward, only images and videos will be able to be previewed.

This card from Trello’s Platform team has more details on how this works: https://trello.com/c/tnX5dhiI/87-updated-authenticated-access-to-s3
It may help to upload files via third-party service (i.e. Google Drive) if attachment previews are needed for your use-case.

Now, PDFs were intended to be included in that list of files that can still be previewed, but we had to change that in response to a browser security vulnerability, one that could have (but didn't!) compromise data integrity. Disabling PDF previews temporarily is our way of protecting your data; I know it's less convenient this way, of course, and I'm sorry about that. Image and video previews continue to work as before.

Our team's already working on how we can resolve this in a better way, so hopefully this is only a very temporary state of affairs!

Don't hesitate to reach out if we can help with anything else, and have a great rest of your day."

Like Xavier Sanleandro likes this
0 votes
Fateh Mammadli June 22, 2022
Myron June 23, 2022

This original post was resolved, however, we're now experiencing a different fault. As of a couple a weeks ago our pdf form attachment which first opens as a thumbnail, doesn't show all the checkboxes. If you actually download the attachment and then open it you'll see the various checkboxes. Our workflow only requires a quick glance at the pdf attachment form thru trello. Downloading each pdf would clutter our users pc's.

Glenn June 23, 2022

In chrome, I just have "open in new tab" and "delete" on the thumbnail PDF.

Myron June 23, 2022

Yes, after installing the PDF Viewer extension the "Open in new tab" works  as a workaround. However, used to be that the thumbnail showed all the checks in the various fields. Now it does not. Without the PDF Viewer extension if you selected open in new tab it immediately has you download the pdf to your pc then you have to open it from there to see all.

Something has changed and the developers are working on a fix.

Myron June 28, 2022

The Trello team has fixed it once again!

0 votes
Myron November 4, 2021

Could it be this issue has been resolved? I noticed earlier today that pdf's now open straight away. 

Glenn November 4, 2021

Yes, it now opens the original preview in the same tab just like the original behavior.

0 votes
Glenn November 3, 2021

If previews cannot be added back due to security issues, the new tab opening to view PDF's was adequate. What is not acceptable is the download of the whole PDF just to open.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events