Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No longer able to open .docx and .xlsx files from Trello app on Macbook

Rachel McLaughlin August 18, 2021

Until two days ago, I was able to open .docx and .xlsx files directly from the Trello app (admittedly, it was a little buggy).  Now when I try, the files download via my browser.  I've uninstalled/reinstalled the Trello app and repaired/reinstalled the Office software.  I'm using a Macbook running Big Sur with Word and Excel for Mac and the Trello app installed.  Is there a fix or a way around this?

3 answers

0 votes
Adam Cao
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 4, 2022

Hi @Rachel McLaughlinI just released a Trello Power-Up that re-enables previewing of Word, Excel, and Powerpoint attachments: https://trello.com/power-ups/61bd1b71e0984756b13f7696

Hope this helps!

Martin Purmensky January 5, 2022

This is fantastic.  Thank you Adam for adding this.  Each of my cards have several files attached, some of them Excel invoices.  So, not being forced to downalod it is a huge, positive gamechanger (as was the summer down/upgrade that disabled it). 

Any chance you could add .xls extension? Most of my cards have that, but seems like it is working only with .xlsx. 

Regarding your external share, it is also extremely helpful.  If there is any way to keep the upload date when this is enabled, that would be wonderful. 

The Tiny Power Ups are worth every penny!

Martin Purmensky January 5, 2022

BTW, @Adam Cao since we now can't preview PDF (which was disabled some time ago), that would be also good to add.  

Frankly, I can't even preview JPG or MP4, and I am not sure if this is a problem localized to my computer, or if all attachments across the board were disabled. 

Thank you again for your work restoring the functions we were used to have. 

Adam Cao
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 5, 2022

@Martin Purmensky I really appreciate the kind words! I'm glad my Tiny Power-Ups are useful!

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 8.16.46 PM.png

I've added .doc, .xls, and .ppt to the supported extensions list of Office File Viewer. Let me know if it works for you!

Regarding your external share, it is also extremely helpful.  If there is any way to keep the upload date when this is enabled, that would be wonderful. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 8.16.49 PM.png

I've updated External Share to display the upload date next to the Share button.

we now can't preview PDF (which was disabled some time ago), that would be also good to add.  

Frankly, I can't even preview JPG or MP4, and I am not sure if this is a problem localized to my computer, or if all attachments across the board were disabled. 

I'm pretty sure that this is a bug that was introduced by the External Share Power-Up. I will try to find some time this weekend to fix this issue. Thanks for pointing this out!

Cheers! 🍻

Carrie Barton January 6, 2022

Nice power up but not free.  I am on a company space and they will not auth.  Hoping a free version will make its way over soon, considering we used to have this ability.

Martin Purmensky January 6, 2022

Thank you, Adam for adding the extensions, and the dates.  Works perfectly.

I tested the Image preview and you are right, I can preview them on boards where the tiny powerups are not enabled.

@Carrie Barton I do find it unfortunate that the update over the Summer was not so much an update for many of us, but with Adam's solution priced at $1 per month this is for our organization absolutely no brainer. Plus, his fast response to the issues I pointed out is very much appreciated. 

Like Adam Cao likes this
Martin Purmensky May 26, 2022

@Adam Cao some time ago we were chatting about attachments and I see that there is still the bug you mentioned. When I click on any jpg or pdf under card's attachments, it opens in a new browser tab. 
However, if I open it from the card's feed, it opens in Trello. 
MP4 that used to open in Trello always opens in a browser.

As I mentioned, your power up is extremely useful, but if there is any way to fix it, it would be even better. 

0 votes
Martin Purmensky August 19, 2021

I am also trying to find a solution as I need to preview on a regular basis Excel files.  

Unfortunately, this is a part of an "upgrade" that seriously devaluated Trello for us.  Apparently this is not the end.  The following is an answer I got:

. I'm sorry to report that boards will slowly be changing to only allow the preview of video and image files. PDF, docx, xlsx, pptx, and other files that are not video of image types will not have an option to preview them any longer.

I expect that the turn off of PDF preview will be a huge problem as many companies are using Trello for approval, etc. the lack of preview of files will be a problem for many. 

Carrie Barton August 20, 2021

I saw this on another post as well.  Removing this ability would be a major blow.  I have typically championed Trello over Teams, but the tide will shift if they continue to remove these features.

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2021

@Rachel McLaughlin 

A bit of technical background but note the change they are making to all attachment URL. 
https://community.developer.atlassian.com/t/update-authenticated-access-to-s3/43681

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events