Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My labels turned pastel, how do I change it back?! I HATE THIS!!!!!!

Kate Chadwick September 13, 2022

Hi,

The labels help me identify cards and their status' at a glance for the 30 plus projects I'm working on simultaneously... the bold colors are easy to differentiate, even when the labels are collapsed.

The pastels, while aesthetically lovely, are difficult to differentiate at a glance when collapsed; when expanded, the addition of the darker dot on the pastel background with white lettering is so visually cluttered I can't filter through to what I need.

I want to change my boards back to pre-update. How do I do this?

9 answers

4 votes
jvd September 13, 2022

In my opinion, the bold labels made Trello stand apart from the competition. I know Trello has a lot of great features - but the labels were pretty up there for me!

As well as the new colours, the strange textures / patterns add to the cognitive overload and cause the label to get completely lost in everything else going on in the board.

I agree that we need some more colours! However surely there's a wide range of bolder colours to choose from?

Is this update set in stone? Do we have any option to vote on pastels vs bold as a Trello community? 

I'm with Kate on this one - I hate this!

4 votes
snzer0 September 13, 2022

The new labels stink. They are a downgrade. They are harder to see. Please re-evaluate the color scheme. I think its awesome to have more colors but make the labels more prominent or something. Go back to the way the full color was visible on the label. The pastel is 🤢

4 votes
Andrew Politi September 13, 2022

Came here to post this and figured it would already be the top post. I was not disappointed. Atlassian, for the love of god, revert this change, or at least make it a toggle. The new pastels are so close to each other it's harder to visually distinguish. What's next, getting rid of colored labels altogether?

2 votes
jamescollado September 16, 2022

I just wanted to express the same feeling, the new colors are terrible.

The new washout colors make working with Trello much harder.

The problem is that this change is yet another step in the wrong direction, Trello was a GREAT product but it seems lately it is starting to break apart one design decision at a time.

1 vote
Philipp Ritz September 13, 2022

More colors: Good

Pastel (pale) colors: Bad

Where are the flashy options?

12345.png

istockphoto-1328395253-612x612.jpg

Like Ami Fazchas likes this
1 vote
Maria Gerlúcia Bezerra de Souza September 13, 2022

Também não gostei!

Gostaria muito que voltasse como era antes!

0 votes
Susan March 24, 2023

I love the option to add more colored labels, but I really hate the mandatory imposition of the new colors on my boards, which I have spent YEARS refining and tweaking to get them to work in the precisely best way possible for me and my workflow. PLEASE offer the option to change the overall label theme back to the original bright colors. The pastels eliminate the "at a glance" quick visual tracking ability that makes (MADE???) Trello such a fantastict tool.

0 votes
Cabe Trust September 14, 2022

im sorry but this feature was a differential among other apps, sorry guys, notion wins.

0 votes
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 13, 2022

@Kate Chadwick hey there, unfortunately there's not right now. It was a tricky decision because a lot of people have requested more label color options, and the team had to delicately balance changing the styles to accommodate more colors. I don't envy being the product team at Trello and having to make decisions on changes for a tool that millions of people use every day, and trying to make it be exactly what everyone wants because it's pretty impossible 😭

Fair enough, but why was the default implementation to make everyone's existing labels the hardest to distinguish?

Like # people like this
Paps September 13, 2022

It was easier to be productive with the original labels. Staying organised and on top of tasks has become a lot more difficult since the new colours have been introduced.

The solution is not pastel colours. Let's bring back a vibrant colour scheme.

Like # people like this
Kate Chadwick September 14, 2022

If the design team feels triggered, all I can suggest is that feedback is an important part of the process and that's what we irritated users are here to provide.  :)  Plenty of other companies offer some type of "new interface options on their way - try them now by hitting this toggle!" or "Here's your new interface - don't like it? Turn it off by clicking here."

I get that it's hard to please everyone, but no one's arguing that more colors = bad. We just would appreciate ALSO having our old colors as an option.

Like # people like this
Cabe Trust September 14, 2022

The thing is that deleting differential features to match request that could be fulfilled with chrome extensions is pointless. This has legibility issues im sure you guys'll work on improvements such as adding your own hexa, but meanwhile is such a downgrade for the product. My team has been coloring covers in order to recover the legibility the product has decided to delete while we are migrating to other tools like Notion.

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2022

@Cabe Trust yeah honestly depending on what you're doing, perhaps notion is a better fit! I love Trello and run my life and projects with it, and it works perfectly for me because I am looking for a tool that manages tasks and organizes workflows and has robust automation. I think Trello has never been a "style" tool like things like Notion, and that's always been fine with me since im not in need of that, but for folks who are looking for that sort of styled documentation and notes feel, i can see how Notion would be a better alternative.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events