Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move card if today >= start date

Benjamin March 2, 2020

I would like to move cards automatically to a "in progress" list whenever the custom field  "start date" is = or > to today's date.

(Alternative answers on how can I automate organization of card to show which tasks should be started would be acceptable).  

Thanks

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Benjamin March 2, 2020

The solution is to create a calendar trigger with Butler:

every day, move each card in list "Up Next" with custom field "Start Date" set to a date less than 1 days from now to list "In Progress"
0 votes
Remy December 8, 2021

I don't think this option existed in march 2020, but as of now you can just use:

every day, move each card in list "Up Next" starting today to list "In Progress"
0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2020

@Benjamin you can do this using Butler if you use the "Due Date" on the card as the "Start Date", and then you could have a custom field to indicate the actual "due date" or end date of the task. This seems backwards, but Butler doesn't have the option to trigger based on custom field date conditions.

Another option would be to use a due date trigger in Butler with an offset defined by the number of weeks or days it will take to complete the task, but the offset would need to be fixed, ie. you couldn't have a custom field defining the number of weeks it will take to complete a task and then offset by that field, you'd have to always do 7 days prior to the due date or something like that.

Will either of those solutions work?

Benjamin March 2, 2020

Thanks for trying @Iain Dooley , the solutions wouldn't work as they require sacrificing one feature for another.

I tried the following:

1. Button: 

move each card with custom field "Start Date" set to a date less than 1 days from now to list "In Progress"

2. Calendar:

every day, move each card with custom field "Start Date" set to a date less than 1 days from now to list "In Progress"

Running the button though clearly didn't work, so my cards with a start date "3 Feb 2020" are not moving to "in progress" as of 3 March 2020. 

Benjamin March 2, 2020

Okay I think I figured it out:

Running two jobs:

1. bring in past cards:

every day, move each card with custom field "Start Date" set to a date more than 1 days ago in list "Up Next" to list "In Progress"

2. bring in today's cards:

every day, move each card in list "Up Next" with custom field "Start Date" set to a date less than 1 days from now to list "In Progress"
Like Iain Dooley likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events