Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More detailed custom field activity tracking and automating custom field activity

Kirk Miller
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 2, 2020

Hi, 

I have a custom field which is a dropdown list of numbers that acts as a counter for how many sessions out of a block of 12 sessions a particular client has used. 

When I update this each week, I don't get very detailed information in the activity log - just "this field was updated on X date" - but it doesn't tell me what number it was updated to and from. 

Is there anyway to get the activity log to include this information? 

Also, I'd like to work out a way to automate this number changing each week - i.e. I know that ALL clients will use at least one session each week so it would help me if this update could be automated weekly and I only had to go in and manually change the session number for those that had used more than one session. 

If anyone has any advice that would be much appreciated, or if you have any suggestions for an alternative way to track this information that could also be helpful. The other info that is captured on each card is their start date, upcoming payment date and their plan details - how much they've paid for how many sessions etc. 

Cheers! 

1 answer

0 votes
Cody C.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 15, 2020

Butler would be the best tool for this! First off - incrementing a value in a Custom Field can only be done with number fields, so to make this work you would want to change the field type that you're using to track the number of sessions. If that works for you, here are the type of rules I would suggest:

when custom field "Sessions" is set, post comment "Sessions set to {{%Sessions}}"

To make that work, your Custom Field would need to be called Sessions, since we're using a custom field variable to reference it.

The second piece is a little trickier. Our Calendar rules don't have a way to edit Custom Field values, but they do allow you to move cards from one list to another. What we need is two rules. One to automatically increment your Sessions field and move it back whenever a card is moved into the Monday list:

when a card is added to list "MONDAY", increase the number in custom field "NumCounter" by 1, and move the card to the top of list "Clients"

And a second to move cards to your Monday list from a Clients list each Monday:

every monday, move each card in list "Clients" to list "MONDAY"

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events