Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac: How to get a red badge on dock icon

Martin Nitsche November 26, 2018

I use the desktop app for Trello on the Mac. There is the option "Badge on Dock Icon" in the preference. I switched that on. But I do not see a red badge. Never. I would like to have a red badge when one of the cards (maybe cards with my name on it) has a due date which is overdue. So when I have 7 overdue cards the badge would show 7. I this possible?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 26, 2018

@Martin Nitsche you may still need to enable it in the OSX preferences as well as Trello preferences:

2018-11-27 at 11.47 am.png

Thanks, @Iain Dooley for the idea, but they are activated. The problem must be somewhere else...

Bildschirmfoto 2018-11-27 um 07.27.07.png

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 26, 2018

@Martin Nitsche well, when I have that enabled and I receive a new notification, I see the badge app icon go red in the dock until I view the app, but it goes away even if I don't read the notification.

You receive a notification 24 hours prior to a due date on a card to which you are subscribed/watching, so maybe it's just that the timing of it is such that, at the time those notifications are received, you're looking at the app and therefore never see the badge.

OK, Iain, maybe I understood the whole concept of the badge wrong. My idea would be, that it should work like let's say the badge on reminders on Mac: The badge shows the number of overdue tasks. If I understand you right, Trello use it in a different way, not the number of overdue tasks but as a copy of the notification in their app/on their website. This is not what I want/need, but I fear there is no way to change that behavior (beside someone from Trello reads this and changes the programming of the app). But thanks for your help!

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 29, 2018

@Martin NitscheYes that's right, it's just an alert that there are unread notifications available. I think if you have the dock enlarged it might give you a number, but that would only be the number of unread notifications since you last looked.

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 29, 2018

@Martin Nitsche BTW if this helped can you please mark the answer as accepted? I base my entire self worth and sense of purpose in life on how many badges I get in the Atlassian community, thanks.

Marco Fanelli July 10, 2020

Hi! I have one question:

The red icon is not shown when there is a new notification on a card? Because I have activated the badge in system preferences and also in Trello preferences but it doesn't appear.

I would like to see a red badge icon when I get a new notification.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events