• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Login redirects to default browser…

I use Trello in a custom version of Safari on macOS Catalina. I use an application named Fluid.app which is a wrapper around Safari for effectively creating an application out of a website. Why? Because it's then easy to find with Cmd-TAB.

Now, recently I have, at Atlassian's request, updated my credential to use the Atlassian login for Trello. This appears to have completely broken my login, and here's why.

When I try to login, the website does that infuriating thing of requesting your user name and password separately (I don't understand that (anti) pattern - but that's another story). Then, the login has some issue and does a redirect to a separate browser window. So, my default browser is set to Google Chrome which means that the window opens there and now I'm logging into a complete separate browser environment - Chrome. 

I can't get the login to stay in my wrapped Safari environment. Infuriating

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley Community Leader May 06, 2020

@Stuart_Begg there's a mac desktop app for Trello that might solve the problem for you :)

Thanks. I'll give that a shot.

Much appreciated.

Hi, Iain

Thanks for your recommendation; it appears to be working out really well.

Cheers, S t u a r t .

Like Iain Dooley likes this

Umm … forgot one thing. I use a (CSS) script to show the card number in the web version. 

How do you see the card number in the desktop version? It doesn't seem possible.

(We use it to associate commits to the card through a version control hook.)

The only place I can find the card number is at the bottom of the "Share" popup.

@Stuart_Begg The only way to display it permanently on the card that I can think of would be to use Butler to set the value of a custom field to the ID when the card is created. Pretty convoluted though. But if you hover over a card and cmd+c to copy it you'll copy the URL you could just stick that in your commit logs

Thanks for that suggestion.

I have a clipboard manage which will let me see the copied URL without pasting it. I guess that's a workaround. 

One of our development standards is to prefix the commit message with the card number followed by a colon. In fact, the whole commit will be rejected by the VCS if the message doesn't conform to this format. These commits are then associated with the Trello card (in the Activity section) automatically. It makes it easy to quickly review changes that were made specifically for the work undertaken to implement the card.

Feature request: Present the card number on the cards on the main column view. 

Thanks, again.

@Stuart_Begg in that case, you can create a shell script that will allow you to do:

./commit "https://www.trello.com/c/098dafsdf9" "message goes here"

which scripts out everything except the card ID from the first parameter, prefixes it with a colon to the commit message, then calls git commit -m "ID: message goes. here" :)

Like Stuart_Begg likes this

I guess so, if I used the command line … rather than an IDE to do the commits.

I like the idea, though. Thanks.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

📹 What is Trello?

Hello Community!  My name is Brittany Joiner and I am a Trello enthusiast and Atlassian Community Leader. I'll be sharing with you a series of videos with my top tips on how to best use Trello...

846 views 14 30
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you