cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locking Lists and Admin access

Mike Lewis February 20, 2019

Hi Guys

be it through standard config or a power-up i am trying to do the following:

1) stop users from changing the board layout, specifically the list placements and titles

2) only allow certain used to move cards to a specific list, for example they may have a card in estimation, but i only want the manager to be able to move that card to approved

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2019

@Mike Lewis the most "locked down" you can make a board is to:

1) Set the board to be team viewable

2) Add people to the team, but not the board

3) Enable comments from the team

Now they can add comments that can trigger all the workflow movements, but they can't edit anything else about the cards or the lists on the board.

You could either code up your workflows so that comments trigger certain actions via the API, for example when someone posts a comment containing a link to a Google Doc, use the API user account to attach that document to the card as a link and then move the card to the next list.

Managers or senior personnel can be members of the board and move cards around.

Whether or not this or some other means of enforcing a workflow is appropriate will depend on your use case.

Can you elaborate a little bit more on who's doing the work and in what environment?

Mike Lewis February 20, 2019

Hey

Thanks for the reply

The scenario i have is i am using trello to stage development work for my team, my entire team have access.

What happens is when i move a card from one list to a specfic ( other list ) list it sets a chain of events off through ZAPIA and opens a project that i track cost in

i dont want my staff to be able to drag a card to this list, i only want admins or specific users to be able to do so, however moving to other lists is fine

like wise the ability to move lists around could be problematic if i can lock these down too

Thanks

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2019

@Mike Lewis Okay so the primary problem is that you don't want someone to be able to inadvertently (not maliciously) trigger this flow of events by dragging a card into one list.

If you're already a Butler user, you could do something like:

when a card is moved into list "Special Trigger List" by @adminusername or @otheradminusername email parseaddress@zapier.com with subject "{cardlink}"

then change Zapier to trigger using an Email Parser instead of a card move trigger.

If you're not already a Butler user here is the corresponding Trellinator code:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/debb3d15854a8db940f9d89f9a1d18b1

You can see how to install Trellinator here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-articles/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

Locking lists in place and list names would be a little tricker, because someone can change the list position or name twice in quick succession so you can't very easily protect against it by simple reverting to the last known state.

What you can do is have a second board which has the list structure in it, which no-one is a member of except you and your Trellinator bot user (I don't think you could achieve this one with Butler ... ) and in each list, you have one card which contains the list *id* of the corresponding list in the project board.

Whenever a list name change, list archive or list move occurs in the project board, Trellinator could then simply reset everything back to how it's supposed to be by setting the position and name of the list with the corresponding id according to it's place in the list structure board.

It would look something like this:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/ce6b147823134950f4b3b68541671050

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events