Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

List colour highlight option

George August 11, 2021

C'mon Atlassian team, we need a list colour function !! 

I can use the "List Highlighter for Trello" Chrome extension but this could possibly have me be open to hacking. Why can't Atlassian offer a Trello native function?

What is wrong with you guys?... is Trello an abandoned project or are you saying we should look for a replacement to Trello?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rupert Greenlees
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 16, 2023

I do pretty much agree with George. The productivity use case is self evident (or why would you have colour coded cards and labels). The "we need to design special colours for colour blind people" argument, is a bit odd. 

1) You are making 'the perfect the enemy of the good / essential'.

2) I guess you already covered the colour choice question for card covers and labels. You don't need to re-nvent the wheel.

3) Even if you did have to start that from scratch the level of consideration required is a single intern putting their mind to the question for say 20 minutes. Why is that a dealbreaker?

'People are not asking for this', well that's because list highlighter is really great - but its still no substitute for a native solution. Currently no-one can see any of my colours. The reason for that is curious. The outside risk that the ocassional colour blind person may not be able to see all of my colours distinctly. That's like saying you couldn't add email functionality because its really hard to code in braille.

George January 16, 2023

Thanks for speaking out.

Trello has had to catch up hard in order to bring in new features to match the competition. The era of growing the eco system by purposely allowing for outside parties to create Apps that provide added use-ability is mostly over... but some companies are holding on to that business model for dear life :)

It is obvious that the feature we are asking for is not important enough. In any case I am personally working towards migrating to Clickup whom incidentally don't quite have a sexy Kanban style like Trello but overall provide a much more complete product (if you can deal with the complexity)

Native List Colours function would make Trello that much more irresistible but... It is what it is and so be it.

1 vote
Felix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 12, 2021

Hey @George 

thanks for the suggestion. Can you describe your use case for this functionality and how it helps your workflow?

Why can't Atlassian offer a Trello native function?

We could, but despite how simple it seems, a feature like this still takes a lot of time and testing to implement. It needs to work for all our users, on web, desktop and mobile. It needs to be accessible, it needs to support people who have difficulty telling colors apart (like myself).

Spending this time on list colors means we can't spend time on other features, and list colors just hasn't been as highly requested as some of the other stuff we're working on.

is Trello an abandoned project

No, there's been growing investment in Trello over the time I've been on the team, and we've been working hard to make continuous improvements to the product.

Cheers,

Felix

George August 12, 2021

What ever, in any case thanks for your lame reply.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events