Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Is there any way to automate the renaming of a card to itself without the intro word?

If I have a card named "Test 123" and I wanted to automate it being renamed to "123" when it detects the word "Test", how would I do that? The only options I seem to have are {cardname} which is for appending, but I want to detatch something from the title. Is this possible?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Felix Atlassian Team Aug 25, 2021

See https://help.trello.com/article/1156-pattern-matching-and-wildcards

You could do this with a rule like:

when a card with a name starting with "Test {*}" is added to the board, rename the card to "{cardnamewildcard1}"

That works perfectly, thank you so much!

Like Felix likes this

@Felix 

This convention you are using

{cardnamewildcard1}  

Is it new? Does it mean that if I can used wildcard in subsequent actions / different criteria of the trigger (can’t think of an example} and I am able to use them downstream? 

Felix Atlassian Team Aug 26, 2021

Hey @milynnus - the field based wildcard references are not new, but I noticed they weren't documented - I just updated the docs here to include a little info about them: https://help.trello.com/article/1156-pattern-matching-and-wildcards

@Felix 

Thanks. I remember a few times I had wanted to use a wildcard in a second part of a command but realised that Trello would not be able to distinguish which wildcard1 I wanted. This is the answer to that challenge. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Trello

Taco Tuesday: New years' resolutions with Trello

Congratulations to @Laura Holton , our latest winner of Taco Tuesday! And thanks to @Kristján Geir Mathiesen for sharing the picture of Taco having fun with his new friend  B...

2,303 views 28 40
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you