Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to add members to a team WITHOUT using an email address?

Kent Barnes June 1, 2018

I am doing a demo of setting up a Kanban board using Trello.  I can create boards, and associate them with a team (or vice versa).  But...   I can't seem to add members to my teams.  The teams are fictitious as would be the members.  Therefore the members have NO valid email addresses to use.  How can I ADD members to a team without using an email address (...no invites need be sent...this is all for demo purposes).

3 answers

1 vote
Christine January 12, 2023

Creating a fake email is a lot of effort just to make a placeholder. It would be great if this could be an added feature. I use Trello internally and want to create a placeholder for jobs I have sent externally - but I dont want them to have access or use our boards so visually seeing who I assigned it to would be great, But im not creating a fake email address just to do that. 

1 vote
marc -Collabello--Phase Locked-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 5, 2018

Some email providers (e.g. gmail) allow you to add extra characters to an email and receiving the email to the same address.  For example in gmail the following would be sent to the same inbox:

• myemail@gmail.com
  • myemail+trelllo1@gmail.com
  • myemail+trello2@gmail.com

This allows you to construct email addresses as you wish and use them inside Trello.

Deleted user November 14, 2019

That totally works with @outlook.com email as well.

Egon Haparnass July 23, 2023

That is a really required feature when not all participants are users of trell but you want to remember who is doing what in the project. 

Like Demis D_ John likes this
0 votes
Matthew N
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2018

Hey Kent

You could create some dummy email accounts and confirm their email when creating a dummy trello account

• dummy@gmail.com
  • dummy2@gmiail.com
  • etc

or- there are some "bot" accounts you can add.

• @Butllerbot
  • @trello
  • @cardsync
Kent Barnes June 4, 2018

Thanks Matthew.  I shall give this a try.  I had asked Trello support and their response was basically it's not possible to do what I'm trying to do, i.e., build a demo Kanban with a fictitious cast of players (i.e, its only possible to invite folks to a Trello team unless said invitee has a valid email account AND has a Trello account also.)

But...  Let me give your suggestion a try and I'll let you know what happens.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events