Is there any API available to get check trello user account is "General" or "Trello Gold"? Edited

I am using trello attachments API to attach files to Trello card. There are limitations on file sizes. 

There is a 10 MB file upload limit per attachment. However, Business Class and Trello Gold members have a 250 MB file upload limit per attachment.

I need to do below validations, before attaching file to Trello card.

1.If account type is general, check file size is <=10 MB.

2.If account type is not general, check file size is <=250MB. 

To perform these validations, I need to get the account details of trello user.  I'd appreciate any suggestions.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Dan Lew Atlassian Team Sep 18, 2017

If you make a request to https://trello.com/1/members/me (or replace "me" with a user ID) then it returns an object that includes a "premiumFeatures" array. If it includes the "largeAttachments" feature then you're good to go.

(You can also get all sorts of good info on the user with this API call, see more here: https://developers.trello.com/v1.0/reference#membersid)

Thanks @Dan Lew. I got below response when I make a request to https://trello.com/1/members/me.

AP Response.PNG

I would like to know what does mean by memberType in above response. Can I use this property to validate attachment file size. If yes, could you please list down the all possible values of memberType property?

Dan Lew Atlassian Team Sep 19, 2017

I wouldn't use "memberType" to determine attachment size. Checking the "premiumFeatures" array is best because it accounts for all the ways that a user could acquire the ability to upload large attachments.

Currently, there are two ways the user can gain the ability to upload large attachments - either the user has Trello Gold, or they're a member of a Business Class team. Checking both of those states is much more tedious than just checking the "premiumFeatures" array. It'll also work better in the long run, in case we ever added more ways to enable large attachment uploads.

Thanks for your quick response. I got your point.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Bridget Sauer
Published Feb 02, 2018 in Trello

Atlassian User Groups: Trello edition

You’re invited to our first ever Trello User Groups   Good news for current and aspiring Trello enthusiasts! We’re launching Trello User Groups so that you can network, share ideas, solve ...

1,742 views 14 14
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you