Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to vertically scroll the entire board or all lists at once?

Greg May April 26, 2019

I've only been using Trello for a week, so I just started getting lists that are too long to display fully in the browser window. When that happens, it looks like Trello adds a scroll bar to the list.

In the future, I think it is possible that I will have multiple lists on a board that are too long to display all cards in the browser window. That means I will have to scroll each list individually.

It would be much better for me if, instead of confining the cards to a window height that fits within the browser window, the cards simply ran down as far as they needed to, and I could scroll down all lists by using the browser scroll bar. That is, rather than scroll list by list, I would find it easier to use the browser scroll bar to vertically scroll the entire board, so that all lists longer than the browser window scroll vertically at the same time.

I don't see a way to set this up in Trello, nor I have I found (yet) a power-up or extension that enables this. Is there a way to do it? 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Greg May April 29, 2019

I lucked upon a way to do it. The Swimlanes for Trello lets you create multiple horizontal rows of lists (and you can specify the break point for the rows, unlike with List layouts for Trello). When there is more than one lane, cards just keep getting added to the bottom of the lists, and I get exactly what I've been looking for.

There's a quirk in Swimlanes: any time you move boards, they all go back into a single row, but reloading the page puts the rows back with the board in the new position. That's only a hassle when you are deciding how to set up your board, Once its set up with the lists the way you like it, it shouldn't come into play.

Greg May May 17, 2019

When I wrote "move boards" and "board in the mew position," I of course meant "move lists" and "lists in the mew position,"

Carolyn Choate March 15, 2021

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I need for one of my boards

0 votes
Katrin Anger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2019

@Greg May 

Hi Greg,

With the Chrome browser you can install an add-on that lets you scroll boards vertically.

It's called List Layouts for Trello.  It comes with 3 different list layouts, one of them is a vertical one.

Hope that helps.

Greg May April 29, 2019

Thank you. That's a nifty extension, but it does not address my issue, so I'll try to explain it better here.

I do not want to stack lists vertically. I would still like to have only one list in each column.

What I want to change is Trello's default behavior for displaying long lists. By default, if there are too many cards in a list to show all of them in the browser window, Trello creates a list window the height of the browser window and adds a scroll bar to that list. So, if I have multiple lists whose lengths exceed the height of the browser window, I have to scroll through each of them one-by-one.

What I would prefer is for cards to be added to the bottom of a list and always displayed no matter how long the list gets. That is, a long list would not result in a box with a scroll bar; it would result in many cards outside the visible display in the screen, and would require scrolling the browser window to see them. Since all long lists would have cards running past the bottom of the browser window, scrolling the browser window would allow me to scroll all lists at the same time.

Imagine all cards in all lists being the same size. Just as each list would resemble the column in a table or spreadsheet, each row of cards would resemble the row in a table or spreadsheet. If a table or spreadsheet is too long for the browser window, one scrolls through the browser window, and all rows in a table or spreadsheet scroll together.

THAT is what I am trying to accomplish.

Like # people like this
Katrin Anger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2019

@Greg MayOk, I understand now. - I am sorry, but I cannot think of a solution for this.

Deleted user May 29, 2020

First of all: just loooove Trello :-)

I experience the same need for a better view of long lists.

In stead of the scrolling feature in every list, I'd much rather have the long list expanded and visible, which makes it easy to scroll down the entire board, seeing all the long lists at the same time and not having to scroll on every list itself.

Is there a way for this to happen, please?

Greg May May 30, 2020

I found the answer! The Chrome extension (which I use in the Brave browser) SWIMLANES FOR TRELLO will give you this behavior. You don't actually have to create any swimlanes. Just activating the extension will allow you to scroll all lists at one time.

(Just realized I posted about this extension a long time ago! See my comment above.)

Greg May May 30, 2020

See my comment above about the Swimlanes for Trello extension.

Joop Logger August 28, 2020

I am also looking for this feature.
Vertical scrolling of all lists at the same time.

Greg May August 28, 2020

Swimlanes for Trello. See my earlier comments above.

Joop Logger August 29, 2020

Uninstalled the chrome plugin.

I can drag the swimmer icon to a Trello list but nothing happens?

I tried several times.

Greg May August 29, 2020

I don't use the swimmer emoji. I use the "|" character instead, and it works fine..

Thanks again Greg for swift reply.

Where do I put the "|" sign?

I work on Mac so I don't even have a Swimmer emoji. 

Greg May August 29, 2020

These instructions are from the extension page:

"Just add the | character or swimmer emoji 🏊 to the header of any list that should start a swimlane, and you're all set! The lane will be labeled with whatever text follows the swimmer, so if the header reads 'Backlog for |Project X, that lane's label will read 'Project X'."

Greg, i am not a newby, but when i add "|" character in front of the list name it doesnt work. I wonder if we are talking about the same solution i am seeking.

See attachment - i want to be able to scroll all list vertically at the same time.

Is Swimlanes extension the solution?

Schermafbeelding 2020-08-29 om 09.15.58.png

Greg May August 29, 2020

Here is a test board with no lists with a "|" in it. It has the usual signs of long Trello lists. Each list has a scroll bar and there is no scroll bar for the whole browser window:

1.PNG

Make sure the Swimlanes extension is installed and activated. Then put a "|" in the name of the first list. Then reload the window. You'll see that the name of the swimlane appears just above the first list (with the name being all of the text after the "|"), the scroll bars for the lists disappear, and the scroll bar for the browser appears:

2.PNG

The lists that are longer than the browser window now extend beyond the bottom of the window. If you use the browser scroll bar to scroll down, all lists scroll at the same time. Here's what it looks like when I get to the end of my lists:

3.PNG

Got it?

Great info Greg. If i still can not get it to work its on me ;-)

I done exactly as you instructed but no succes. Maybe its my Chrome version even i do have latest. Maybe because im using a Macbook Pro.

EVEN COPIED THE SWIMMER EMOJI BEFORE THE LIST NAME  - REFRESH - NOTHING

Greg May August 29, 2020

Sorry to hear this, guy! Maybe try some other browsers that work with Chrome extensions? (I use Brave. There are others.)

I don't think it should matter that you are running Chrome on a Mac. I can try it on my Mac tomorrow if I remember, and let you know.

Good luck!

👍

Laura Pereira De Castro November 7, 2020

I was having the same problem as Joop, I figured it was a problem bc I hadn't authenticated my email by atlassian yet. I verified my email and the problem solved.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events