Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to sort Trello Cards by date created?

Troy J Heffner December 19, 2021

It is not uncommon to add many different cards on different boards in a short period of time. Example being all of the cards I have added to different places on my Trello board over the weekend. Tomorrow, I would like to show that group of cards that rest in different places on different boards to my team members. That would be easiest if I could sort and show cards by date created. Is there a way to do this on Trello? If not, then is there a Power Up or workaround that would accommodate this issue? Thanks for your time and advice! Respectfully, Troy 

3 answers

2 votes
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2021

Hi @Troy J Heffner ! Selecting the ellipses on any list, you'll see the option "Sort by...". From here, you can sort cards based on age, the card name, or by a custom field:

Sort list.PNG

If you want this to happen automatically on a regular basis, you can set up commands to achieve this:

auto-sort lists.PNG

Troy J Heffner January 18, 2022

@Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows - Thank you! That helps. However, I was wondering if there is a way to sort or view the entire board by date created, or maybe there is a powerup for that task. The time I see where this would be helpful is when there are many people contributing and cards, lists, and links get created, removed, and moved around, then one could take a quick look at all that is new on the board in one view rather than having to sort and view each list. Also, many of our lists are organized top to bottom based on importance or urgency and so something new on a list could be moved to the top and others moved to a different list. Anyhow, I'm sure you get the idea, I just feel like it would be a great tool or powerup to be able to see all cards sorted by date created just to see and know what is new on the board for that day, week, or month. Make sense? Thanks again. Being able to sort lists does help, but could be tedious, confusing, and time-consuming when trying to get a birds-eye view of what has been added or changed on a board over a set period of time. 

Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2022

Hey @Troy J Heffner it sounds like you might just need a simple report sorted by card age. There are power-ups that allow you to build custom reports and from there, you can then sort of different criteria. For example, Dashboards by Placker or Blue Cat Reports allow you to create a report of cards on one board (or many), and you can then sort by create date.

Another option is Advanced Search which creates a quick search of cards based on different criteria (e.g. only show cards created this week). 

Hope that helps!

1 vote
Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2021

Hi @Troy J Heffner ,

Thanks for posting. Are you familiar with Butler. Could you please creating a new rule or use a browser extension like this - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ultimello-the-features-pa/hahbfgjfimnmogoinnenhheepfcphnmm/related?hl=en-US to sort this out?

Please let me know if this helps.

@Suvradip Paul - I know there are a lot of powerups and extensions that I may be able to work around and snap together to achieve the same goal. I will look into the one you shared above further. I was just thinking. I believe there is a Trello version of an "Activity Log" to show activity history, but it would be confusing if we couldn't filter that activity log to only search and see certain actions like cards created past to present, present to past, or date range. I truly believe a tool with functionality like this would make it much easier to step away from a project being worked on by many individuals and then to step in from time to time as a project manager to check in on major board activity that would come with card creation, transfer and movement. Just a thought. I will look into your recommendations. Thank you for sharing!

0 votes
Thomas Dao December 19, 2021

I'm sure there is, it's like the most basic function.

@Thomas Dao - It seem there is for lists, but not for boards. I believe a more extensive and thorough date creation search tool would be very helpful on many occasions as I stated above. Take a look at my responses to the recommendations and see what you think. Make it a great day! ~Troy 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events