• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Is there a way to set a custom field over email card creation?

Hello everyone, i really enjoy sending cards over email to the board and do a lot of it too because i find it very productive and saves a lot of time.

Subject, description and use of labels over mail is no problem but i also use a couple of dropdown lists custom fields. I want to know how to set a custom field in email subject  as i do with labels (like #labelname)

thank you!

3 answers

Hi @Agustin Gigena ,

Welcome to the community!

Please checkout this integration https://www.autopilothq.com/integrations/trello/custom-fields/email

Hi @Soumyadeep Mandal 

Thank you for your answer but seems a very complex solution to what i feel is a really small problem. Just wanted to know if there is a code, hashtag, symbol or whatever that sets an existing custom field in my board to appear in that card and avoid to do it later in trello.

An example:

Composing an email.

To: trello board

Subject: Order Nº 10809 - 15x7x5 Rectangular Tuck lock box #clientname #boxstyle

Body: Work description and notes

------Send Mail------

That would give me a card with 2 predefined labels i've already set in trello (#clientname #boxstyle)

I also have a custom field (droplist) to display the job's status. Is any there any way to set that custom field from email like i do with labels?

I've read somewhere that symbol $ triggers a custom field but didn't work for me or i don't know how to properly use it.

Like Soumyadeep Mandal likes this

Hi @Agustin Gigena ,

If you format the subject line in a particular way you can use API automation to set a custom field value:

https://developers.trello.com/docs/getting-started-custom-fields

For example, when you send an email in the format:

New expense $3.20

you could split the title of the created card at the $ sign then enter 3.20 into the Amount custom field.

Not working or not using it properly

I've added a Text custom field called "Amount" to test your answer, wrote an email with subject New expense $45 and Card title shows that exactly without adding value to custom field.  Maybe i'm missing something.

Custom fields need to have a name like "Amount" and i would like to know how to invoke it in the email subject to add the value to that custom field.

In my case I use droplist but i can dig my way to that if only know the basic way to target a custom field from email subject.

Also the link you pointed to API automation does not mention the symbol $ or talk about invoke a custom field to add a value from email.

Hi @Agustin Gigena ,

You can check out these

https://help.trello.com/article/1160-custom-field-variables

https://bridge24.com/blog/use-trello-custom-fields-to-optimize-your-workflow/

else

I'm not sure whether what you are asking is currently possible or not!

you can contact Trello Team by asking Trello support HERE

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Trello

Introducing: A Whole New Trello

After a decade of growing the most ubiquitous visual framework for productivity and project management, we are evolving Trello’s boards, lists, and cards model to bring context to content and help te...

611 views 23 21
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you