Is there a way to search and replace a text string across multiple cards in a board?

I have a board created as a template.  It is being re-used for multiple projects, multiple teams.   I want to replace the string that identifies project-specific info in the title of cards on the board.

Example:  Board 1 cards say "project 1 - task xxxxxx", "project 1 - task yyyyyyy", etc.

I want to copy the board, and rename it to Board 2, and replace the text "project 1" with "project 2", so the result is that the cards say "project 2 - task xxxxxx", "project 2 - task yyyyyyy", etc.

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.
Matthew N Community Champion Jul 18, 2017

Hey Sue!

Trello doesn't have existing functionality to find and replace text, however you can use Butlerbot to accomplish this task.

Once you copy your board, add Butlerbot and use the command

for each card with a name containing "project 1", replace the matched text with "project 2"

This will work well particularly will a smaller number of tasks that Butler needs to automate, as there are some limitations

Give that a go, I think you'll find that command very useful, and may even have it do some things you never thought possible :)

Matthew N Community Champion Jul 20, 2017

Hi there Sue

curious to know if you were able to give this a try, interested in hearing how this works/worked out for you. 

thanks Matthew - I did give it a try.  Unfortunately the limits are pretty significant for the no-cost version, but the functionality does exactly what I wanted.  It was a bit buried in the misc menu, and it was a function at the board level, instead of the card level (which was at first not intuitive to me, but it made sense after I realized the app logical structure).    I found the function and set up the find and replace - it worked like a charm.   If that was the only power up I wanted to use, it may not have been worth the investment - I'm using for a 2 month engagement with a client team.  Cost/benefit not strong enough.  However, we're going to use a few more tools, so am investing for 2 mo's for the team.    Really liked the IFTTT nature of Butler.  Super easy to use.   Thank you for finding it for me.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Sep 11, 2018 in Trello

There’s a Power-up for That!

So you’re using Trello at work, at home and to track your new DIY crafts. The family and co-workers are all on board and everything is organized, color coded and has a due date. But still, there’s so...

270 views 1 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you