Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to search and replace a text string across multiple cards in a board?

SueGriniusHill July 18, 2017

I have a board created as a template.  It is being re-used for multiple projects, multiple teams.   I want to replace the string that identifies project-specific info in the title of cards on the board.

Example:  Board 1 cards say "project 1 - task xxxxxx", "project 1 - task yyyyyyy", etc.

I want to copy the board, and rename it to Board 2, and replace the text "project 1" with "project 2", so the result is that the cards say "project 2 - task xxxxxx", "project 2 - task yyyyyyy", etc.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Matthew N
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2017

Hey Sue!

Trello doesn't have existing functionality to find and replace text, however you can use Butlerbot to accomplish this task.

Once you copy your board, add Butlerbot and use the command

for each card with a name containing "project 1", replace the matched text with "project 2"

This will work well particularly will a smaller number of tasks that Butler needs to automate, as there are some limitations

Give that a go, I think you'll find that command very useful, and may even have it do some things you never thought possible :)

Matthew N
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2017

Hi there Sue

curious to know if you were able to give this a try, interested in hearing how this works/worked out for you. 

SueGriniusHill July 20, 2017

thanks Matthew - I did give it a try.  Unfortunately the limits are pretty significant for the no-cost version, but the functionality does exactly what I wanted.  It was a bit buried in the misc menu, and it was a function at the board level, instead of the card level (which was at first not intuitive to me, but it made sense after I realized the app logical structure).    I found the function and set up the find and replace - it worked like a charm.   If that was the only power up I wanted to use, it may not have been worth the investment - I'm using for a 2 month engagement with a client team.  Cost/benefit not strong enough.  However, we're going to use a few more tools, so am investing for 2 mo's for the team.    Really liked the IFTTT nature of Butler.  Super easy to use.   Thank you for finding it for me.

Chris Wissmann December 7, 2018

This is AWESOME. Butler tech support even set up a button for me that I can use to run a find/replace on my board, or edit to run different find/replaces. It works well, too, though it does skip a small number of items it should have caught.

The bigger problem is that I can apparently put it on someone else’s Trello board and use it, but those people can’t access or use it—I think they need to put their own buttons on their own boards themselves to use them.

My question is, where in god’s green earth is the place where they can enter that command and set up their own Butler find/replace buttons?

(I’m using, I think, the bot. I can make a good find/replace action using the Command Builder, but it doesn’t give me a button that I can control, and only works on new cards, not existing ones.)

Hope my question makes sense!

Mikael Byström December 12, 2020

Why isn't there a trace of this now that Butler is part of Trello?

Like # people like this
Maria Ballestrino October 20, 2021

I was wondering the same thing!

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events