Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Is there a way to group the Trello cards into categories as you enter them?

Is there a way to group the Trello cards into categories?

When I enter in a new Trello card?  Is there a way to classify that card?  And based on that classification copy to another Trello list?

For example, I have a general list where all cards are entered into at first.  I then separate that general list into 3 other lists or categories (Flowers, Cards, Special Projects).

Currently, I have to move them out of the general list into the specialized list.  Is there a way in Trello to enter a card into the general list and also classify that card as Flowers, Cards or Special Projects?  In a perfect world, leave the card in the general list but also copy the card to the category list also (Flowers, Cards, Special Projects).

Thanks,

Bob 

1 answer

0 votes
Hannah Morgan Community Leader Jun 09, 2022

Hi @Robert Engen ! Welcome to the community :) I'd suggest using labels to categorize cards. You can either manually apply the label to the card, or create card templates so the labels are applied automatically. 

From there, you can use a butler rule to auto-copy cards to their lists based on the label:

copy cards.PNG

If you're not keen on labels, you could use a dropdown custom field, or pre-fix the card titles with the category instead.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Trello

Taco Tuesday: New years' resolutions with Trello

Congratulations to @Laura Holton , our latest winner of Taco Tuesday! And thanks to @Kristján Geir Mathiesen for sharing the picture of Taco having fun with his new friend  B...

2,265 views 27 40
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you