Is there a way to auto tag cards?

twnbay78 July 27, 2020

Hello,

I'm a new Trello user. I have a number of buckets for different categories of tasks, and I have a single "completed" bucket. I'd like to auto tag each card with the category (based on what bucket the card is in), this way I can view the categories in my "completed" bucket easily.

It is quite burdensome creating these tags manually.

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Vongsawat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2020

Butler is the native answer to automation tasks, but Free limits the command runs to 50 per month. And the one-rule-per-type essentially rules out Labels, as those are not as flexible in Butler and require multiple rules to handle it.

You could use a Butler Rule that triggers: when a card is moved in to list "Done".
Then instead of a Label, you could then set the card name to "{triggercardname} from {triggercardpreviouslistname}", or use the second variable there in a custom field or description etc.

If the 50 per month thing chafes, technically you could circumvent that with a creative Card Button, but the implementation would depend on what method you would use to replace Labels. The example below assumes adding something to the end of card name, the commands that'd need changing are the filters for the Collect All and the labeling-substitute command

Essentially, you'd need the url of a temp card with no checklist. Then have the button Find a card with link "the-mentioned-card", Collect all cards with a name not ending with "]" in list "Done" in to links in checklist "TempList". For each card linked from an item in checklist "Done", Rename the card to "{cardname} - [{triggercardpreviouslistname}]", Find a card with link "the-mentioned-card", Remove the "TempList" checklist from the card.

Thus, whenever you suddenly want to look at where each of your cards are from, you can click the Board Button to update all un-updated cards in Done. The filtering has to be able to discern between the two in this case, though I guess it doesn't matter for other cases, just a waste of operations (that don't matter as much anyways).

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2020

@twnbay78 I advocate for the use of Butler where you can including not exceeding the quotas. @Vongsawat probably heard me saying this several times. 

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 27, 2020

@twnbay78  Without knowing the specific rules, it is difficult be definitive. Labels would be what people would use. If it is based on custom field values you will have to use Butler.

I know of someone that has a Autotag card button, that makes use of AI and it can be implemented as a custom Power Up. It is where I learned how to developed my first Power Up but using python on the backend. The AI was replaced with my own backend code

This an example https://youtu.be/TE1jPfkwako

it tags using labels and list names based on where original checklist was raised.

twnbay78 July 28, 2020

Thanks for the answer. The video has a pretty nifty feature that is being showcased. Here, you can create "symlinks" for cards or card links and have the linked card inherit a tag from the source. 

Maybe I'll take a look at the source code and see how I can tweak the functionality go create a power up for what I want. 

Since you only receive 1 power up slot in the free tier, does using a custom power up consume that slot? Or can you have an infinite number of custom powerups?

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 28, 2020

@twnbay78  unfortunately, custom power up counts as one Power Up. The advantage is when you have something that Butler cannot do, or    you need more than one card or board buttons you can integrate them into one power up. Just need to be aware of rate limits. You can complement with Butler. I have not checked with Trello will stop you for  your single card and board button entitlement. Here’s the one on AI 

https://github.com/viadanna/trello-smarts.

My implementation had always been to use Wayscript for the automation and python to do backend processing. Here’s another example where I use Wayscript to handle the charts and py-Trello to get the data. https://youtu.be/YiuyeeSyhgg

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events