Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Is there a way to add sub-tasks and/or notes to items in a checklist?

I would like to be able to comment on or add sub-tasks to items in a checklist.  Is this possible?  If not, is there a workaround for this?  Thank you!

2 answers

1 vote
Hannah Morgan Community Leader Sep 29, 2021

No, it's not possible natively. A workaround would be to convert the check-items into linked cards. That will generate a card for you to populate information into. It does mean you'll end up with more cards on your board, but perhaps you could have a dedicated list to hold these subtask cards. Taking it a step further, you could collapse that list  using the collapsible list chrome extension. 

Here's an article talking about how to turn check-items into linked cards using Butler.

Like Hannah Morgan likes this

@Josh Anthony something i like to do is use markdown in the checklist items to help format them. for instance I'll sometimes bold the first part (like a title) and then give more details afterwards in Italics, or use links to link to more details about that item elsewhere. 

Or sometimes I'll create multiple checklists on a card and group the subtasks together in their own checklists on that card!

Hope this helps!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Trello

Taco Tuesday: New years' resolutions with Trello

Congratulations to @Laura Holton , our latest winner of Taco Tuesday! And thanks to @Kristján Geir Mathiesen for sharing the picture of Taco having fun with his new friend  B...

2,343 views 28 40
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you