I have discovered a way in which I can attach documents stored in iCloud as links rather than attachments on iOS. It is rather clunky, requiring multiple steps:
1. Open Files app and browse to the folder containing target document.
2. Touch "Select" at the top right of the screen..
3. Select the desired document.
4. Touch "Share" at the bottom left of the folder window.
5. Touch the "Add People" share option.
6. Touch "Copy Link"
7. Another window open, touch "copy link" again.
8. Switch to Trello
9. Open the target card
10. Touch the attachment paperclip at the bottom right, which offers the option to "Attach copied link.
11. Once the link has been created it can be renamed.
The advantage of this is that activating the link opens the document in the appropriate app. For Apple Works documents, activating the link in Safari on macOS opens the document in the iCloud version of the app.
I haven't tested extensively, but this process doesn't seem to create any issues. I haven't done much testing with non-Apple Works document types except PDF. on iOS, the PDF is opened by Files, but on macOS, the document doesn't open--just the file browser.
Despite the clunkiness of the process, I think it will be very useful to be able to access the live versions of Works document from Trello.
So my questions are:
1. Is there a quicker way to get to the iCloud link?
2. Is there some hidden snafu that may cause problems in the future?
@Roger Cavanagh I rarely attach documents to cards in Trello, usually I use Google Drive. The process of attaching a Google Drive document to a card is roughly the same: obtain a link, paste it in. I think the process may be a little faster with the Drive app than what you've described.
The only better way to do it that I'm aware of would be using some type of automation, but you'd still need some way of indicating which files need to be attached.
As far as creating problems I've never found it problematic to have Drive documents linked from cards.
If you had to thrive a new habit during a lockdown, what would it be? Trello
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event