Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to modify or disable keyboard shortcuts?

Nathan Ondricek May 22, 2017

I've got a co-worker who accidentally pushes "c" all the time which accidentally archives things that should still be active. Is there a way for a user to disable keyboard shortcuts?

8 answers

14 votes
Alex Dixon March 21, 2019

What is just *brutal* about the keyboard shortcuts is when you mis-click a text entry and start typing, they start applying. So I go to edit a title or description, and suddenly I do 5 unexpected things to the card because I didn't actually get the input to focus.

I really want a way to disable these. ESPECIALLY ARCHIVE! Our team has lost a ton of time to `c`. Why is that so easy to do!

Alex Dixon March 21, 2019

you should also really add a way to delete an answer when you meant to reply instead :/

Like Thomas Murphy likes this
11 votes
Sosthen March 26, 2022

+ 1 to this.

I made a browser extension to disable all shortcuts on Trello (except tab, escape and enter).

Sad to have to do that, but since Atlassian don't want to address this issue...

To anyone needing a solution to this here is the extension: https://github.com/SosthenG/trello-shortcut-killer 

4 votes
VHS October 18, 2020

Agree completely with the above complaints. The UI is slow to react when clicking in a text box (in our case Custom Fields are the main issue) and anything typed before the textfield is accepting input is taken as a shortcut.

I would remove every single shortcut in a second (except 'f' for filter) so there is almost no upside and a huge downside. Archiving with a 'c' is extremely dangerous.

2 votes
Charles DuBois April 21, 2021

This really is needed, as there are so many keys that can quickly derail a project with cards spontaneously archived, mislabeled, etc.  The only other option may be to not auto-apply in a card/board and allow escape or some kind of undo.

Disabling the keys as a preference (including by default for the whole board and all users) is by far the easiest to implement.

1 vote
Sam May 30, 2023

+1 I just started typing thinking I was typing in another Windows window then suddenly the contents of the card were replaced with the contents of another random card in the same list. (using arrow keys I have to click about 7 times to get to the random card). 

all I typed was " 'portal " and then I noticed the card name was being changed to " al "
and I am not able to reproduce it...

1 vote
sg
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 22, 2017

Hey Nathan,

Right now there's not an option to disable keyboard shortcuts, but I'll pass this feedback along to the team!

Steven
Trello Support

Nathan Ondricek May 22, 2017

Okay, thanks for the info!

Petr Maček June 7, 2018

Please add this feature, shortcuts are annoying as hell

Like # people like this
Carson Buckley September 25, 2019

Necro on this topic, because it has been 2 years without any update. Disabling / modifying keyboard shortcuts is still needed. Any update on progress to this end?

aptwebapps March 12, 2020

Can I add my vote as well? I've had several frustrating episodes of trying to revert whatever my intercepted typing had done.

What would mitigate it somewhat would be an undo feature. If I could just hit that a few times within a short grace period, I wouldn't mind the errant commands as much.

Alexander Plummer August 27, 2020

It's so frustrating to miss a text input and have 100 things change on a card.  Or to not realize your browser is focused and accidentally move a card without noticing.

We use the custom fields power up with a lot of text inputs and it happens at least weekly on our team.

An option to disable these would be invaluable

tom-wooclap September 8, 2020

3 years on, this is still needed.

Dustin October 1, 2020

We especially see an issue with this on large boards that have slow, unresponsive UIs. Cards seem to be moved or archived and users get very confused at what happened. We've seen this occur multiple times with different users in just the last week.

Like # people like this
Ryan Lockwood November 24, 2020

Keyboard shortcuts on Trello are the bane of my existence. Please, PLEASE consider an option to turn them off. 

Scarlet Sunset August 4, 2021

I've fat-fingered several keyboard shortcuts that removed labels or archived cards. There wasn't even a confirmation involved; I didn't even have to hold CTRL/CMD for it to happen—I just had to hit a letter key and boom, ticket vanished and I had to go figure out what I did. Definitely please revise this.

dirk_wetzel August 23, 2021

We use Trello as our main issue-tracker/kanban-board at work. I've almost lost track of cards because of the shortcuts, all it takes is my cat stepping on my keyboard. I always have to make sure to never have Trello as my active tab when a cat is nearby, or else I risk problems in our workflow.

Like # people like this
Kelly Knowles November 1, 2021

+1 to all this. Im really disappointed cause I might need to stop using Trello until we get the ability to disable keyboard shortcuts. Personally, no other web app I use has keyboard shortcuts--I only ever use them by accident, its always going to be unexpected. I don't want to become a power user, I just want a reliable board that I can't accidentally obliterate with a few misplaced keystrokes. This is game-breaking. Cards are shifting around by accident, archived by accident, etc and I rarely notice anything's going wrong because I don't realize I'm accidentally pressing a key. (And with any other tool I use, pressing ONE key w/o CTRL is never this destructive. Its way too easy to accidentally perform an action I don't want.) Its just all around a very unstable experience. Please please please lmao Im literally begging, my job depends on Trello.

Like # people like this
aptwebapps November 1, 2021

It's been four years since this issue was created. It would be pretty easy to add toggle to the settings to disable keyboard shortcuts. Trello is a zombie app these days.

Like Angela Massop likes this
Edrick Bruel November 3, 2021

+1 this! i keep leaving cards i'm part of—among many another annoying things that can be solved by having the option to disable keyboard shortcuts.

Thomas Murphy July 26, 2022

Trello seems to want to destroy itself. They keep adding features no one wants, but never fix bugs. 

horas_ro November 1, 2022

Yes! Please make an option to disable shortcuts! 🙏

Like George Chiesa likes this
marcinnowak February 22, 2023

It is getting worse from a release to release. These shortcuts are annoying and dangerous, especially when popups / inputs are losing the focus.

Like # people like this
Sosthen February 22, 2023

You can use this browser extension I made.
Available for Firefox and Chrome , it disables every shortcuts except TAB, ENTER and ESC.

Like # people like this
marcinnowak February 22, 2023

I'll try, thanks

chrisoconnor001 April 17, 2023

+1. PLEASE add this, if only because CTRL+ENTER has a totally different function on Slack. Can't imagine I'm the only one bouncing between Slack & Trello and frequently posting half-made Trello comments.

George Chiesa May 5, 2023

You'd think 6 years later they maybe could have figured out how to disable shortcuts.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Tony
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 23, 2024

So... It's 2024. What do we have today with hotkeys? Nothing has changed.

Just have one small mis-click a text field. And then push all the dangerous buttons! Archive the cards! Delete the boards! Do everything to make you feel uncomfortable.

0 votes
Vedmant January 17, 2024

I have this problem all the time, not only me but everyone else who's working with my Trello boards, I see cards archived randomly, people are added and removed from cards.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events